Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Why are my Ethernet speeds so awfully slow?

TSkan
Beginner

My built-in 82579V adapter on an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 platform can't break 300Mbps on a gigabit Internet connection when my laptop right next to it on the same gigabit switch tops 900Mbps.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TSkan,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We hope you don't mind providing SSU log from the system that got 900Mbps. This would help us in checking your query.

Please also share the troubleshooting steps you've done so far to help resolve the issue. (like trying a different cable or speed test website, trying different Ethernet drivers)

We look forward to your response.

In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TSkan,

Good day!

Please provide the requested information for us to proceed checking your request.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TSkan,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future.

May you have an amazing day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TSkan
Beginner
Very sorry for the lack of response. It's been an incredibly busy week. I'm extremely interested in following up and sending you the report from the other computer. I've recently noticed an old MacBook Pro exhibiting excellent speed-test numbers in excess of 925Mbps as well. I'll get you those results tomorrow. Toby Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TSkan,

No problem at all. We are glad that you are still able to send a reply in spite of your busy week.

Unfortunately, the utility to extract the logs is not supported in Mac OS. Can you share if you still have another systems where you can test the speed of your Internet? As the speed test conducted on the speed test website that you are using had to pass through your service provider and the test outcome is dependent on various factors (Ethernet cable, OS and your system hardware). 

Can you also double check the established connection speed in the settings of your system: Network and Internet Settings; View your Network Properties and scroll down to Link speed (Receive/Transmit).

We look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TSkan
Beginner
I am attaching the scan from my Windows laptop that I originally reported excellent results on. The test on the Mac was simply to corroborate that we do have multiple systems that can take almost full advantage of the fantastic speeds offered by our service. Thanks very much, Toby
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Toby,

Thank you for the reply.

It seems like you missed to attach the logs on this thread. Kindly open the link below and re-attach the logs.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004e13ld/why-are-my-ethernet-speeds-so-awfully-slow?language=en_US

Awaiting to your reply..

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TSkan
Beginner

I attached it. Not sure why it didn't make it through to you. I will say that the link in the utility that was supposed to allow my sharing of the results was broken on all browsers yesterday.

Here you go.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Toby,

Thank you fro re-attaching the logs. Please allow us to check on this. We will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Toby,

Good day!

Based on the SSU logs provided, the system that was able to get 900mbps has a Realtek Ethernet controller and you have an OEM Intel® 82579V Gigabit Ethernet PHY on your system.

With his, we'd like to check if you have already raised this concern to Asus support? As this is an OEM on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

Have you also tried to use a different test website to check if there would be any difference? As the speed test conducted on the speed test website that you used had to pass through your service provider and the test outcome is dependent on various factors (Operating system, cable and system itself, BIOS version).

We look forward to hear an update from you.

Should there be no response from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Toby,

How are you today?

Please let us know if you were able to request an assistance from Asus. In case you have additional questions and clarification for this request, please let us know and we will be glad to be of help.

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Toby,

Good day!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. If you have any other inquiry in the future, please let us know and we will be glad to be of help.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TSkan
Beginner
Thank you. I'll also try to inform you of what Asus has to say and if they can help at all. Toby Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Toby,

You're welcome, appreciate your response.

For the meantime, we will proceed with ticket closure. You may reopen it by posting an update for the next few days. Feel free to let us know if you have any other assistance needed.

Have an amazing day ahead.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos