Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Why is faulty Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V still being sold??

FranzJeger
New Contributor I
Why is this proven garbage product still being sold!?? Just got a new Z690 motherboard and like many others are experiencing a myriad of bugs related to this utter garbage product, had ZERO network issues with my previous x570 board but now I have to waste my time troubleshooting slow buggy downloads like a idiot alpha-tester!? I smell major class action law suit incoming when you keep selling faulty products.
1 Solution
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello FranzJeger,

We do apologize for the delay on providing an update as we have escalated this case to our engineers. As per checking the best source of support for your case would be to contact Asus support. We understand that this is an Intel Ethernet controller but it is embedded so we have limited support. We can help with suggestions, but Asus ultimately owns support of this since it is designed onto their motherboard. 

Also as per checking as well, Asus released a new BIOS for this board on November 5th that we found on their site. We would suggest to contact Asus for better assistance and check if it will fix the issue.

TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 BIOS 0503

Improve system stability and performance.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4/HelpDesk_BIOS/

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
FranzJeger
New Contributor I

Maybe you(Intel) and Asus should start a bigger investigation about this since it's a really common problem with these NIC's and not let the customers suffer while you 2 play the "blame game". And btw I have already created a ticket in their system as well.

I have already updated the bios, one of the first things I always do when adopting a new gen. Same problem is present in the first release bios as well as the newest one.

0 Kudos
ElusiveX99
Beginner
0 Kudos
FranzJeger
New Contributor I

Why can't mega corporations like Intel and Asus just hash this out between you 2??

Why is it my responsibility as a consumer to be a "throwing ball" between you and Asus?

This has been a problem since z490 and it's also affecting AM4 mainboards.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/the-ongoing-issues-with-the-intel-i225-v-rev_03-2-5-gbps-nic.1796635/

It's impossible that you are not aware of this issue and you SHOULD take responsibility and take point on this issue to solve it. Again, I'm just a consumer, it is not my responsibility to troubleshoot defective NIC's that you, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or whatever other brand sells to the end user. I do understand that you will try everything in your power to "brush" this issue under the carpet since the the recall of every product with these defective NIC's will cost a sh.. load of money. But that really isn't my problem. Is a class action lawsuit necessary for you to do anything or what?

0 Kudos
FranzJeger
New Contributor I

Hi.

I'm on AM5 now. Same **bleep**ty NIC onboard Intel NIC with the Asus Gene X670E mobo. How are you allowed to sell the same broken NIC over and over? How is it possible that Intel keeps selling known broken products? Why is there not a class action lawsuit against Intel. 

Has the world gone crazy? Selling broken products can't seriously be something you want to do!?

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello FranzJeger,

We do apologize however we have limited support for this controller since this is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture). Intel ships these chipsets to OEM's and the OEM's typically pre-install's the chipset and customizes some of the settings in order to work on their boards properly. 

The best recommendation that we can advise if you are still encountering some issues would be to contact Asus support for this so that they can properly assist you. 

If you no longer have further concerns for this case, please advise us since we will be needing to close the case.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

There's more bugs where that came from @FranzJeger. A few users along with myself have been battling Wake On LAN not working with the i225v. Wake on Lan not working on driver higher than 1.0.1.4 for Intel l225-V - Page 3 - Intel Communities Hopefully you don't use that feature! 

In an effort to help you with your issue, while I don't  believe I have any issues with my downloads as you described, these are my driver settings that may or may not change things for you. Intel i225-v Wake-on-LAN from S5 settings (Windows 11). May be worth a shot if something is different from yours. What you described shouldn't be an issue on default driver settings even if a setting resolves it, Intel needs to fix this.

While I don't have a Z690, I bought a Z590 mITX board when it was launched and still enjoying intermittent WoL from S5. My advice on this NIC is to just use the drivers that Windows provides (if you're on Windows) rather than downloading any from Intel or the board vendor, and I guess, keep waiting and complaining with the rest of us. I was a little shocked when Intel kept selling the i225-v with Z690 after all the woes on the AMD platform, Z490 and Z590, but maybe that means one day the intention is to have this be a functional product.

Zigfreid_Intel

Hello FranzJeger,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

As for the others, 

As previously mentioned, we have limited support for this controller since this is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture). The best recommendation that we can advise if you are encountering some issues would be to contact the board manufacturer (Asus) support for this so that they can properly assist you. Also if you have any other inquiries please post a new thread instead as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SeeNoWeevil
Beginner

So I recently built my new 12th gen system with a 12700K and Gigabyte Z690 board under Windows 11 using the onboard NIC. Now, I immediately ran into problems with the ethernet adapter reporting no connection and device manager saying the device could not start. This would occur when the machine has been used for some time, maybe after a full day, maybe a week. A full power reset (i.e turning the PSU off to kill power to the board and thus the NIC) would resolve the issue. Looking around online I saw A LOT of posts about this issue but for prior chipsets, most claiming the 3rd revision of the I225 had resolved it (the I225 on Z690 are revision 3). I'm getting the sneaking suspicion this is actually a regression and some of these issues are back on Z690. It seems like the drivers distributed for Z690 perhaps don't have the correct/fixed firmware? Either way, I'm pretty disappointed to see this. Please investigate. I can provide any additional details as required.

I'm currently experimenting with 3 changes to see if it helps;

1. Manually setting the link speed to 1Gbps

2. Disabling the OS from being able to put the device to sleep

3. Enabling ErP in my bios to ensure power is cut to the NIC on shutdown and thus giving it a full reset

Seemingly, issues have always been after making BIOS changes, specifically resetting to default. My hunch is one of the BIOS defaults on the board is an issue (Non XMP RAM timings for example are wrong on this board).

0 Kudos
IndyW
Novice

I have been struggling with this same issue on two separate ASUS machines that have nothing in common except for the integrated Intel i225-V NIC (one is Intel and the other is AMD). Turn the machines on, everything seems fine and then the internet connection is lost. You cannot do anything with it. The machine will not shut down without a hard shutdown and it normally does not recover unless you remove power.

Everything is updated, bios, firmware, drivers. When I plug in a Realtek USB-C 2.5gig-NIC using the same cable, no issues at all, it even runs a bit faster than the on-board NIC (when it works) so I know the network and wiring is fine to both machines. ASUS wants the board back for repair, no deal, this is my daily driver and that is way to much effort and downtime when the $30 USB NIC works. They act like my time is free. So, I keep digging in my spare time. One thing I have seen is that my Synology NAS running Active Back-up for Business may be triggering this problem. Why only on intel NICs? No idea. ASUS points to Intel, and you can see Intel doesn't say much.

Intel did suggest changing the Transmit/Receive Buffers to 2048 so I have done that. I also saw that turning off Encryption (maybe Compression) in the Active Backup task might fix it. It is rather a pain to get to the back of my machine to swap the cables but that is where I am at. Ideas to test but no feedback as to why these might work. I hope the buffer change is it because I cannot afford to run without compression and I don't want to run without encryption. The USB NIC is for my travel machine so I don't want it tied up in my desktop when I paid for a decent one in the MB.

Lastly, I heard that it might have something to do with fast start-up in Win10 but that doesn't make sense with the symptoms so I am not testing it yet. Just putting it out there.

If anyone sees a trend here, let me know. Thanks

C128
New Contributor I

My guess reading your issue is that it's a different cause than the rest of the issues we're having. If both of your NICs were hardwired, my best guess is both were zapped in a power surge. Plenty of room to doubt that idea, I realize, but that's honestly what that sounds like to me. I would RMA at least one of the boards and see what happens with the new one. It's worth trying a new cable too, just because the Realtek works with that cable doesn't mean Intel's NIC isn't handling some issue with it in a graceful way. Which does point again to the i225-V being a steaming pile of course. I don't think there's any non-hardware fixes for the things you've described, but I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
IndyW
Novice
Actually, changing the buffer size on the NIC to 2048 seems to be the fix for my issue. Both machines are operating correctly. Both have Compression on and one has Encryption on. I will change to both being on and continue testing. Good luck with your issues.
Buldoz99
Beginner
Are you talking about the same ethernet also present on the Asus prime Z790-A?
0 Kudos
ElusiveX99
Beginner
And now we pay on Z790 as well.
0 Kudos
FranzJeger
New Contributor I

https://www.techpowerup.com/303854/psa-intel-i226-v-2-5gbe-on-raptor-lake-motherboards-has-a-connection-drop-issue-no-fix-available

There is global problem with this POS network controller! Recall should be imminent. Is affecting both Z690 and Z790.

@Zigfreid_Intel - Please supply us with any valuable info regarding this!

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

The only valuable info is learn the lesson and don't buy an eventual I227.

Sooner or later this division will be closed. Wireless products are a nightmare too.

0 Kudos