Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Will it be possible to upgrade or downgrade only the api version for X710 nics.

ANall4
Beginner

Hi Team,

Would like to know is there any possibility to upgrade or downgrade only the API version of specific nic(X710 forvtville 10G), Please share your comments.

AFAIK, we can change it by changing the firmware, but looking for possibilities to upgrde/downgrade only api version.

Thanks,

Anki

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me gather the following information for me to understand your objective.

1. Why do you want to upgrade or downgrade the API?
  2. Are you using on-board NIC or a PCIe NIC?
  3. What is the model of your board or system?

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
ANall4
Beginner

Thanks michael for response.

We are using PCIe NIC's.

Reason for downgrade or upgrade is our application has dependency with api version 17(it was working fine with api version 17, in this case it was different nic XXV710), so we want to verify the same in X710 nic with api version 17.

Unfortunately use is not willing to downgrade or upgrade the entire firmware, so checking with you on changing the api version.

We are using dell power edge 620 and 630 servers.

Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks,

Anki

0 Kudos
ANall4
Beginner

Thanks michael for response.

We are using PCIe NIC's.

Reason for downgrade or upgrade is our application has dependency with api version 17(it was working fine with api version 17, in this case it was different nic XXV710), so we want to verify the same in X710 nic with api version 17.

Unfortunately use is not willing to downgrade or upgrade the entire firmware, so checking with you on changing the api version.

We are using dell power edge 620 and 630 servers.

Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks,

Anki

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

Thank you for the quick response. Can you provide the markings of the NIC?

Please provide photos on both side of the NIC focusing on the markings.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ANall4
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Please find attached pics.

Thanks,

Anki

0 Kudos
ANall4
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

Upon checking our database, this card belongs to Dell. So this is not a retail Ethernet from Intel. Updating an OEM card using our files may damage the card. So at this point, it is best to confirm your inquiry with Dell since they are the best team to answer your questions.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ANall4
Beginner

Thanks Michael.

Can you please provide more clarification on below

1. the card belongs to dell means, can you please elaborate more, it will help us to communicate the problem with dell team.
  2. on above message, my understanding is that there is possibility to upgrade only the api version of the NIC port, but not sure the side effects if we do it on delll server, Please correct me if my understanding is wrong,

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Anki

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

We have a link that you can also use to check if the board#(PBA) belongs to Intel. If the board# is not there, we are checking our database if the board# belongs to a 3rd party manufacturer and there I found out that your NIC belongs to Dell. You may contact your reseller to confirm or Dell. Here is the link that contains the board# of Intel NIC's.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

To answer your second question, It is not advisable to update firmware of a NIC from another brand or manufacturer because it may damage the NIC. Aside from that, the manufacturer of the NIC may void the warranty thats why it is best to contact them. They may have alter some specifications of the NIC as well and those changes are unknown to us.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ANall4
Beginner

Thanks a Michael.

I could see that X710 was present in the link which you shared, Can you please check once.

J11367-xyz1572Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA2X710DA2Dual Port, SFP+ 10GbE,

PCIe 3.0, x8Latest driversJ11365-xyz1572Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA4X710DA4Quad Port, SFP+ 10GbE, PCIe 3.0, x8Latest drivers

Thanks,

Anki

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

The board# of your NIC is H54188-007, and when I tried to search H54188, this is not on the link that I provided. The board numbers J11367-xyz, J11365-xyz and J31241-xyz for X710 are for retail Intel NIC. Since the board # of your NIC is not on the list, I counter checked the board # in our database and found that this one belongs to Dell.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

We just want to check if you are already talking to Dell to update your NIC.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ANall4
Beginner

Thanks for your support Michael.

Can you please share the dell nic support link or contact email to check with dell team, I tried but no nic specific one found.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Anki

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

Please try the link below. By the way, this link is from a 3rd party company so for further assistance on this link, please coordinate with Dell.

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/sg/en/sgdhs1/category/contact-information?~ck=mn

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

I just want to check if you already tried contacting Dell regarding the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

ANall4
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Yes, i have contacted dell support team for the same issue, yet to hear from them.

Thanks,

Anki

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ANall4,

Thank you for the confirmation. Please coordinate coordinate with them regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos