Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Windows 10 20H1 v2004, VLANs broken, here we go again?

fredless
Beginner

Windows 10 2004 has been on the Insiders slow ring for over a month, and yes, it appears that like prior major updates, VLAN adapters are broken (disabled) again, at least until we see a driver update supporting 2004 from Intel.

Will this painful cycle ever stop?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are bothered by finding errors in the nose-ring, beta of W10? Is not that what testing is all about?

You report the errors, or you use a production release of W10.

Doc

0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

20H1 is quite close to final. PC makers are already trying to test and validate.

The point here is that every recent major release of Windows 10 has broken VLAN adapter support in the Intel Ethernet driver set. This tends to be not get fixed by a release from Intel until well after Microsoft RTMs the Windows release. For IT administrators who depend on these advanced functions to work predictably, this cycle has become very disruptive.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"The point here is that every recent major release of Windows 10 has broken VLAN adapter support in the Intel Ethernet driver set"

That is exactly the point - Microsoft has broken it. You, as a nose-ring insider/tester, report this to the Insiders using their reporting tools, and Microsoft (if they are concerned) will work with Intel. Reporting the issue here, for a beta release, will not accomplish anything. If Microsoft is concerned at all with IT administrators who need this function, they should be listening to their insiders. That is what the insiders are for, correct? Raise the flag for this issue with Microsoft.

Doc

0 Kudos
ERecker
Beginner

And today Windows 2004 is finally released and there is no working Intel driver with ANS around. Still release 25.0 from January 2020.

As @fredless​ already pointed out, this isn’t the first time. I for myself have wasted several hours.

@Al.Hill​ Of course, Microsoft testers could also report this issue. But isn’t it up to intel to have a working driver with all options (ANS) ready when the final release of the OS is available? Shouldn't they do a bit of testing too? And it seems that ANS is broken for a lot (all) adapters because it is a peace of software. Therefore no tests are done for ANS?

Enno

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just curious - what did microsoft do in the five months since you reported it to them?

Doc

0 Kudos
ERecker
Beginner

@Al.Hill​ 

It is up to intel to have a working product with current releases of OSs.

I'm a customer and not responsible for testing their products. I pay a price for a working product and at the moment it is not working.

Enno

AlHill
Super User

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Doc

0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

Driver package version 25.1.1 did post recently and seems to have resolved the issue for our I210 and I219-LM NICs.

0 Kudos
florida1024
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using the ethernet driver package version 25.2 with Windows 10 2004, but after upgrading to Windows version 2004, I'm getting a delay of at least about 30 seconds, until VLANs or network connections at all, are available on my machine on startup!

I'm using the Intel I219-V NIC.

Before the Windows upgrade, network connections were available right after startup, as it should be!

0 Kudos