Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Windows 10 ALB Inactive Issue

AZimm2
Beginner

Hello, I successfully created a team with an Intel l219-V and an Realtek card, both cards are wired to an internet router/access point.

But my issue is that one of my cards always stays as inactive, I think I'm missing something?

What I'm trying to achieve is to fully utilize my 2Gpbs download speed. Sadly I'm locked to an Echolife HG8045j GPON that provides only 1Gbps ports.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Thank you for posting in Intel Wired Ethernet Communities. Please provide the Intel System Support Utility logs. Download the utility from the following https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- link. Open the exe, select "everything", "scan", when finished scanning "next","save", and attach the file here. This will not collect any personal data. Find more information about the utility in this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008490/software/software-applications.html link. Please check that the Echolife will support teaming, and there is nothing enabled that interferes with teaming like Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

Agent under contract to Intel
AZimm2
Beginner

As requested the report from the SSU.

The Echolife device does not support IEEE 802.3AD.

I thought, reading the documentation and description of Intel's ALB Teaming, it could be used with a "dummy" switch
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Thank you for the SSU logs. Please let us know which adapter you were using prior to setting up this teaming configuration? Were you already using a prior version of Intel PROSet software, and did you have any teaming settings? When teaming is enabled is the inactive port always the Intel I219-V, or does it alternate? Would you be able to try other teaming configurations or network adapters in a team to isolate the issue?

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos
AZimm2
Beginner

> Please let us know which adapter you were using prior to setting up this teaming configuration?

The Intel one

> Were you already using a prior version of Intel PROSet software, and did you have any teaming settings?

I installed only the latest Intel PROSet software, the 23.2 version, with no previous teaming setting.

> When teaming is enabled is the inactive port always the Intel I219-V, or does it alternate?

It alternates, sometimes you can see it alternating on the status screen.

> Would you be able to try other teaming configurations or network adapters in a team to isolate the issue?

I'm afraid I just have these two adapters and all other teaming configurations seems to require IEEE802 ad
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Thank you for the information. We will investigate the issue with the information gathered. Have you also tried to remove the teams, uninstall existing driver software, and re-install software? If you have not already checked for phantom adapters, please use this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006656/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html link for instructions to check if there are phantom adapters preventing you from successfully teaming.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Another suggestion would be to watch the status in adapter properties and unplug the active port. If the inactive port switches to active, we can at least verify the AFT built into ALB is working.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos
AZimm2
Beginner

Hello, thank you for the suggestion.

Indeed I can confirm that the AFT built into ALB is working.

I unplugged the active port and the inactive port became active.

Plugging it back, the status of both ports remained unchanged.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Thank you for performing the test. Please provide more information on the Realtek adapter. From what we can see on the SSU log it is classified as a "Realtek USB Gigabit Adapter". Would you be able to provide a part or model number, so we can cross reference our multi vendor teaming compatibility?

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos
AZimm2
Beginner

The device is most likely to be 'RTL8153'

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Thank you for the information. We will look into the multi vendor teaming compatibility with this device, and update you as soon as possible. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

In most cases teaming with another manufacturer is a workable scenario. There are some combinations that work better than others, but there is no guarantee when teaming with other manufacturers. Some suggestions when teaming adapters:
  • Make sure drivers are up to date on both adapters.
  • Some adapters require a team member of the same firmware, make, and model.
  • Check with the other manufacturer if they support multi-vendor teaming.
  • Try different team policies and configurations. In some cases simple (port ID based) policies will help avoid compatibility issues.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Please let us know if you have any other questions regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos
AZimm2
Beginner

Thank you for the support, unfortunately I couldn't make it work.

Sadly I don't have physical space to use a Intel card.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Machine942,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to see that it was not a workable configuration. If you have not already, please try to check with Realtek if they have any recommendations.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support,

0 Kudos