Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Windows 10 Guest 82576 VF adapter with KVM Host, setup vlan

ducs4rs
Beginner

I am running a KVM Hypervisor (Proxmox) which I setup SR-IOV with a 82576 NIC. The passthrough is working. I would like to setup a vlan on the guest vf interface but can't. Is this a limitation in the windows 10 VF driver? The W10 guest can connect when not connected to a vlan switch port, so it is functioning.

In the device setup there is an option to enable vlan but no way to set a vlan ID. Picture attached.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, we need to gather the following details.

1. Are you using an onboard 82576 card?
  2. What is the model of your board or system?
  3. Can you share the driver that you used?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ducs4rs
Beginner

Answers with attachment and link:

1) The card is a pci-e dual port 82576. The system board has integrated dual i210's

2) System board is an ASRock C226 WS. See this Pastebin link for the lspci of the system. WSRock C226 WS 

3) See the zip file attacked for screen shots of the W10 driver and failures.

The Host is working fine. Passthrough and SR-IOV VF is working on W10 The issue is I can't configure vlans via Proset. Linux guests vlans are working with VFs. 

Let me know if you need anything else.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

Thank you for the quick reply. Upon checking 82576 does not support Windows 10, please check the link below for the supported OS of your card.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

And as stated on top of the page, these cards are LOM or LAN on motherboard. Since you mentioned that your 82576 is a PCI card, can you provide photos of both sides of the card with clear markings for us to identify the card.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ducs4rs
Beginner

I attached front and back pictures of the 82576 adapter. Based on your link I installed a i350T4 which is on the the W10 supported list. Same issue. The VF adapter is seen but Proset won't install. 

So we can work with the supported i350 moving forward. I also attached the i350 Windows nic device and Proset failure.

0 Kudos
ducs4rs
Beginner

Another i350 observation. If I pass a physical port from the i350 to the W10 VM the driver and proset packages installed. I expected to see the same driver used on the VF interface but it's not. The VF adapter is identified by W10 as an i350 Virtual Function  #2 adapter with a Microsoft Driver with a date of 07/24/12. While the physical is identified as an Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 with an Intel driver dated 2/23/21.

Does Intel provided a Proset supported VF driver for this card, or any card?

Pictures attached.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

Thank you so much for the quick response and okay, we will switch to I350-T4. However, before we proceed, just to confirm are we having the same exact problem with the VLAN set up? This is for us to full identify the issue for I350-T4 and not go back to the first product that you provided.

Kindly help generate the the SSU logs for us to start investigating the issue and for me to answer if I350-T4 has a PROset supported VF driver for this card. Here is the link of the SSU:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ducs4rs
Beginner

yes I am having the same issue. No supported devices when trying to install the driver or proset when the  VF adapter is passed through.

I attached two SSU logs, one with a single i350T4 port passed to the VM (ssu-phys) and one with the VF adapter passed through (ssu-vf). Let me know if you need anything else.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

Thank you so much for the quick update. Let me document all of these details and further check this issue. Please give us 2 to 3 business days to provide an update.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ducs4rs
Beginner

Do you have an update?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update. We checked this issue with our virtualization team and here is our findings.

The VF driver for the I350 that is included in the release package (v1q68x64) is only for server systems.

What is happening is that when it passes the PF through, the VM OS sees it as a physical I350 adapter and uses the physical Intel driver (e1r68x64). This is the full advanced driver in which settings can be modified with PROSet.

When creating a virtual interface for the VM to use: Since this is a client OS, the installation does not find any drivers for it as the VF driver is server OS only. It then uses the InBox Microsoft driver.

You may be able to manually install the VF driver in Windows 10 using the "have disk" method through device manager. However, this is not a supported configuration.

We were unable to validate if PROSet will work with the VF driver, as PROSet is not used on Server 2016/2019 and was not tested.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

How are you today? I just want to check if you tried our last recommendations and if you have clarifications.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ducs4rs
Beginner

I was wondering were the driver you suggested I try lives in the 26.2 package?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

I hope you are having a good day. I am just sending another follow up to check if you tried our last recommendation. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

I am sorry for the confusion if I mentioned that that we will close the thread, Let me answer your question on your last post.

Yes, you can try using the latest driver package which is 26.2. However, we only say You can try it using the "Have Disk" in device manager but this is not validated so we don't know if there will be more issues if you try this.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

Hope this message finds you well. Just checking if you still have clarifications regarding this thread.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ducs4rs
Beginner

I am all set. This can be closed. thanks for all your help

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ducs4rs,

Thank you so much for the update and for understanding. We will close this thread now and I hope I can talk to you again soon.

If you need assistance again in the future, please don't hesitate to post a new question.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos