Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Windows10 Code 10 with 82579V Network Connection after power up, OK after reboot.

POtte
Beginner

When powered up, W10/64bit it is not able to start the 82579V Network Connection on Asus P8Z77-V Pro Mainboard (W10 code 10).

After a reboot, the Network is running without issues.

Next power up shows the error again.

According to Intel Driver & Support Assistent the driver is up to date (12.15.22.6).

With W7 the PC run without any problem.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, this problem is something that you should be asking Asus about. It is their board design.

Are you using the version of driver package provided by Asus? If not, try that version and see if it works better.

...S

0 Kudos
POtte
Beginner

The Asus driver package seems to be a little newer than the W10 implemented one. But it makes no difference. The problem is exactly the same.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This feels like a BIOS issue. Are you running on the latest available BIOS? If so, have you asked Asus about this?

...S

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello POtte, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. n.scott.pearson is correct to start the investigation of the issue. So let me check if you tried updating the BIOS of your board to the latest? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
POtte
Beginner

​Hi All,

Thanks for your answers so far. I will get in contact with Asus and will come back here.

Best regards

Peter

0 Kudos
POtte
Beginner

I've got an reply by ASUS:

The suggest to try a fresh install of Windows 10 with the driver package from their website. But they also noted the high possibility of Windows update to replace the drivers again.

As I've already tried to replace the Windows standard driver by the ASUS ones and run into the same problem, I think I will not go that route.

Meanwhile I found another detail of the problem: The Network connection gets lost also when the systems falls into energy save mode.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

According to the Intel summary document (here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020905/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html), the 82579V PHY is NOT fully supported with Windows 10. If you upgrade from a previous version of Windows or install an earlier version of Windows 10, an "inbox driver" - an compatibility driver carried forward by Microsoft - will support this PHY but, once you upgrade as far as the 1809 release, support for this inbox driver starts to go away and problems may occur. Bottom line, you may need to use an add-in Ethernet card if you want to use Windows 10 with this older motherboard.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
POtte
Beginner

Hi Scott,

thanks for that information!

It is another point to get convinced that I'm not dealing with a "bug", but that this 2012 system is just getting too old.

An add-in Ethernet card might be a solution. But it would be just a first step in a chain of HW upgrades.

(It might be wise to give the system away and start over with a fresh one. It's always a pity to give up a fine running PC just because of driver issues, but thats the way things are in this world. Compared with Android phones 7 years seem not too bad after all. ;-) )

Thanks für your help!

Peter

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, we live in a cynical, what-have-you-done-for-us-lately world where supporting products this old have no justifiable ROI. Investors have far higher priority than customers (think about the irony of that statement for a moment). You think this is bad? What about all of those folks who are dumped (read: screwed) by their manufacturers one or two years after purchasing their laptop. No more BIOS updates, no more driver updates (not even the customized drivers specific to their hardware), no nothing. It's deplorable.

...S

0 Kudos
POtte
Beginner

I bought a 2nd hand Intel PWLA8391GT PRO 1000 PCI network card.

Although it's in the same intel support category as the onboard solution, it has come up fine for the first few boots.

I'll try to remember to come up with a final report in a few weeks.

Thanks so far, guys!

0 Kudos
POtte
Beginner

2 month later there has been not one network fail.

Using a PCI network card seems to be a pretty solid workaround.

0 Kudos