Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Wired Ethernet Issue

POWERMAN
Novice

Hi Intel Support,

My Ethernet controller failed today as well.

I am running a Gigabyte Aorus Pro AX with the Intel Ethernet Controller (2) I225 - V.

Could you please let me know how to go about resolving this?

I only get wifi connectivity now and its not the best in terms of speed.
I've even tried updating to your latest driver but it hasnt helped at all : (

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Could you please let me know how to go about resolving this?

My Specs:

MB - Gigabyte Auros Z490 Pro AX (BIOS version to F7C)
CPU - Intel Core i9-10900K
GPU - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090 24GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18
PSU - Corsair HX850i Platinum
SSD - Corsair Force MP600 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe M.2 2280
CPU Cooler - H150i RGB Pro XT
Case - Corsair Carbide 678c
OS - Windows 10 Home

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello POWERMAN,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I am really sorry to what happen to the Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V. Let me gather more details for me to better understand the issue and provide a recommendation on how we can fix this issue.

1. What triggered the issue?
  2. Are you using an onboard I225-V?
  3. Did you try to check in the BIOS of the onboard LAN is enabled?
  4. If you plug the LAN cable, can you check if there is LED lights on the LAN port.
  5. Can you still see the I225-V in the device manager?
  6. What are the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

POWERMAN
Novice

Hi Michael!

Thank you so much for your response!

Understood - I will try my best to answer your questions accurately.

1.  I dont know - everything was working fine on April 6th. On April 7th, I powered on the computer after work and noticed that the internet was not working even though the cable was connected and it showed the wired LAN symbol.

2. Yes - I am using the onboard/built-in Lan port that came with the Aorus Pro AX motherboard

3. I accessed the BIOS using F2 and do see the LAN MAC address in the system - no other option to enable or disable the port is available.

4. Yes, LED lights are present on the ports of the modem and PC when the cable is plugged in on bothe ends. To confirm this isn't a cable issue, I tried it with my laptop (it worked) and used another ethernet cable to test as well (worked on the ethernet port of my laptop but did not work on my PC).

5. Yes - I can still see the controller in my device manager

6. Besides checking cables, I attempted to install the new drivers from the Intel and Gigabyte website - but it didnt seem to help : (
I've also attached a few screenshots for your review - you will see that it shows an IP address for both IPv4 and IPv6 (I removed the middle entries for privacy reasons since this is a public forum) - I suspect this is because it connected using onboard wifi [ AX 201 ] that comes with the motherboard. 
I also tried disabling the wireless adapter to see if it reverts to the wired one - no luck, keeps showing 'No Internet'.

Please let me know what to do next.

Thank you,

Randal

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello POWERMAN,

Thank you so much for a very detailed reply and painting a very detailed picture of the issue. After checking the images that you sent, the onboard I225-V is still there and detected with no errors in the device manager. While reading and analyzing your reply, it seems you may need to update the BIOS of your board for it to redetect the onboard LAN. And also, we have this issue posted on our website which is also the problem that you are having.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

For BIOS update and NVM updated stated on the link above, you need to contact Gigabyte for the files needed and steps on how to update the BIOS and NVM of the onboard LAN. Each board manufacturer has their own file and their own steps to update the BIOS and NVM. I hope after trying these steps, the system can connect back to the internet.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

POWERMAN
Novice

Hi Michael!

Thank you very much for the response.
I followed your instructions and noticed that I was already at that firmware version.

Following this,  I uninstalled the device from Device manager and attempted to run the older Intel i225 LAN driver [1.0.1.4] update from Gigabyte's support website.

However, after the executable ran, the i225 module was detected again but now shows version 1.0.2.8 - no idea why this happened.

The good news is I have performed multiple restarts since and the wired lan ethernet is always consistent now. 
The PC no longer defaults to the wireless network controller.

I will continue to monitor and let you know if I experience any issues with respect to this but I think it is safe to say that this can now be considered resolved.

Thank you very much for your assistance once again!

Randal

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello POWERMAN,

Thank you so much for the update and and I am glad that the issue is now fixed. I will close this issue now and if you need our assistance again in the future, please don't hesitate post a new question.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.