Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

X520-2 and X550-T2 Teaming Issues

MHeap2
Beginner

Running latest version of Windows 10 on two newly refreshed PCs. One is running an X520-2 and the other an X550-T2, both connected to a Unifi 10G switch with each with a pair a ports set to aggregation, forced to 10G speed. Running driver 25.0

The result is the same on both PCs. After reboot they will connect for about 60 seconds, linked, pingable, etc. with both NICS showing active. After 60 secs on NIC goes to standby and the connection drop permanently until the next reboot. Both are set to IEEE Dynamic Aggregation and 10G on the NIC side as well.

If I remove aggregation both NICs in both computers work just fine (ie. nothing to do with cabling, etc)

I could see having a setting issue or something if it never connected, but the fact the teams works for 60 sec or so then craps out I just don't get.

BTW newly build machines, no other software, AV or anything. Just the latest Windows updates and driver(s).

0 Kudos
27 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Latest windows 10 - what version? 1909?

Doc

0 Kudos
MHeap2
Beginner

1909 (18363.657) Windows 10

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We'd like to check if you encounter the same issue using other teaming configuration such as Adapter fault tolerance (AFT), Adaptive load balancing (ALB)?

We look forward to your reply.

In case we don't hear from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MHeap2
Beginner

Yes I am currently running it as Static Link Aggregation and works fine. This of course implies the two switch ports I am connected to are just set to switching and not aggregation in this mode. Not sure if the others require switch support, but I do know only IEEE one is supported by Unifi switch. In fact I have a different PC that I have not refreshed recently but has been upgraded to the latest OS and 25.0 driver and works fine (IEEE) with a X520-2 in it. It seems to be limited to the PCs that I have done a fresh install of Windows/Drivers that are having the problem. In fact the one that is working through upgrades over time is EXACTLY the same HW (Motherboard, NIC, GFX, etc)..

There isn't some sort of delay I need to give it for a while (24 hours or something) and maybe STP is getting in the way? I notice on the failed scenarios its showing disabled or something like that while the others show forwarding, but all switch setting are identical. In any case, one other observation I have seen, but it may just be reporting that because the aggregation isn't working. I really think it has something to do with one NIC being active and the other in standby, as they both show active during that 60secs when its working.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Thank you for the reply.

Since you mentioned that you have another system that is working fine, is it possible to provide 2 System Support Utility (SSU) logs from both system with and without issue? This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 and download the software.

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Good day!

Please provide the requested information for us to further check on your request. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Should we not receive a reply from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MHeap2
Beginner

Finally got around to doing this. I have attached 3 files (inside the zip as this website only lets me attach one file).

Working PC - This is the box that is working with IEEE teaming and aggregation on the switch. Windows reports 20GB connection active/active NICs, all is well.

IssuePC Working Before Switch Set to Aggregation but Team Created - This is with teaming configured on the other PC, but aggregation not yet set on the switch. Connection works, but windows reports 10GB connection active/standby in the intel tool

IssuePC Not Working once Aggregation on switch set and Team Created - This is with switch set to aggregation now like the Working PC does. Windows still reports active/standby, but no connection to local network or internet. Windows still shows Active/standby and 10GB.

I even tried moving the non-working PC to the ports of the working PC to rule out cables and switch config. Like I say I think its the fact that its in active/standby and the switch is either expecting active/active or active/dead I think.

In all cases (working or not), the only config change I have made at the NIC level (including the workingPC) is turned off IPv6.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Thank you fro providing the requested information.

Please allow us to check on this. Rest assured that we will give you an update within 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

We’d like to clarify the below details for us to have a clearer understanding on the issue.

1.) The issue only happened with Dynamic Link Aggregation and there's no issue with static Link Aggregation, is that correct?

2. Have you tried to check the issue with the switch manufacturer? There might be configuration needed on the switch for static link aggregation. The connection on the system should show 20Gbps for the static link aggregation team.

3. Noticed on the working PC, the connection speed is set to auto negotiation while on the non working is forced to 10Gbps full duplex. Have you tried to set the teaming with auto negotiation connections?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MHeap2
Beginner

Per your questions:

1) That is correct, Static works fine

2) As I stated, I have a system working and several ports using aggregation (which is the setting needed for DLA on the switch) and works fine. I also moved one of these newly build boxes onto those same ports to eliminate switch config and cables from the variables. Only newly built boxes have the issue, but upgraded ones did not. And in the case of working DLA systems, yes they show 20GB, as well as when I put the newly built boxes on SLA. Its only the newly built boxes that dont work and show 10GB and one port Active and the other standby. Point being I can turn off switch port aggregation on the switch and use SLA fine, but if I turn on aggregation and then DLA it doesn't work, but the other to PCs I use that were upgrade work just fine.

3) I tried both wondering if it had issues with negotiating, but doesn't matter does work either way (Set or auto).

In any case, its specific to newly built windows systems on 1909 using v25 of intel driver using DLA. Upgraded systems work, SLA on new boxes work, etc.

So what causes the Intel card to report one port active and the other in standby knowing both ports have link at 10G just fine and I can manually switch to either just fine or use SLA just fine and get 20G. I really think this is the root cause. When I turn on aggregation on the switch it expects both to be active, but thats not showing as such in the intel tool.. I assume there is some negociation that should be taking place to confirm both as active that seems to not be happening.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

Please allow us to continue to check on this. We will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but no later than 3 business days.

Thank your for the patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Good day.

We'd like to confirm if the SSU log 'IssuePC Working Before Switch Set to Aggregation but Team Created' is the "newly installed Win10 build 1909 where the issue is only specific to this? This would help us to further check your request.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

How are you doing today?

Please let us know if you were able to read our previous message. If yes, please confirm if the SSU log 'IssuePC Working Before Switch Set to Aggregation but Team Created' is the "newly installed Win10 build 1909 where the issue is only specific to this? 

Your prompt reply is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MHeap2
Beginner

Yes that is one of the newly built PCs that I took the log from. This was when the intel driver was set to DLA, but I configured the switch for SLC and it worked. The other file "Not Working" the only difference was I set switch to DLA and it stopped working. In the first the NIC showed Active / Active 20GB and it stopped working when I sent DLA on the switch and the NIC went to Active / Standby. Like I said in earlier posts a reboot will put the NIC back to Active / Active and it works for about 60 sec before active / Standby kicks in and stops working - as the switch is expecting active / active.

To me it seems to have something to do with the negotiation between NIC and switch. As long as its active active, it works. But something causes it to go active / standby.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Please allow us to continue to check on this. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as there is any findings but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

Please be informed that we are still investigating on the issue. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Good day!

We'd like to inform you that we are currently investigating this issue with our engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update within 2-4 business days.

Hoping for you patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter.

You have mentioned that you are using Unifi 10G switch. Kindly share the exact model of the switch as this would us in further investigating the issue.

We look forward to your response.

In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MHeap2
Beginner

Model: UniFi Switch 16XG

Version: 4.0.80.10875

Board Revision: 13

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MHeap2,

Thank you for providing the requested detail.

Please allow us to continue to check on this request. We will get back to you to provide an update as soon as there is any but no later than 2-4 business days.

May you have an amazing weekend ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos