Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

X520-DA2 and the HP Direct Attach cables - what is the status?

FFili2
Beginner

Dear Intel!

Im struggeling to get our HP based infrastructure (Procurve switches and Direct Attach Cables, X242 series) 1, 3 and 7 meters to work with the Intel X520-DA2-adapters. The swtich end is fine (trunking works as expected with these cables, for example).

I've seen a few posts in this forum on similar scenarios but they are all rather old. I use the PROset 21.0-software (which I assume the people from the other threads do not) but apart from this pretty much the same setup. The OS in the "computer end" (host of the X520-card) is Windows 10 Professional x64 but according to the documentation this should be a supported.

I get the

Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter X520-2 # 2

PROBLEM: The driver was unable to load due to an unsupported SFP+ module installed in the adapter.

ACTION: Replace the module.

..in the eventlog. Followed by a message that the interface has been shut down.

Any advice would be helpful. Intel states on the web that the adapter should be fine with any DAC that follows the basic standards. HP claims thier cables does that (I spoke with them).

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the post. According to the SFP DA requirement at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005528.html

-Any SFP passive or active limiting direct attach copper cable that complies with the SFF-8431 v4.1 and SFF-8472 v10.4 specifications.

-SFF-8472 Identifier must have value 03h (SFP or SFP Plus). You can verify the value with the cable manufacturer.

-Maximum cable length for passive cables is 7 meters.

-Support for active cables requires Intel® Network Connections software version 15.3 or later.

can you help double check if the HP cable meets the above requirment, I understand you have already check with HP*.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
FFili2
Beginner

I'm in the process of verifying this with HP (in wrinting). They too claim it should work. Apparently they resell your (Intel) cards with HP lable hence compatibility should not be a problem. They might have a HP-branded firmware in thier cards (which accepts HP branded SFP+ module "better"/in a broader way) but I do not see any reason in that..

A bit tiresome that this is even an issue.. I'm sure the HP DAC is working perfectly. This seems to be territorial p-----g to my understanding..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the information. Can you provide the serial number of your X520 server adapter?

The serial number can be found on the white sticker on the Network adapter itself. Format goes like xxxxxxxxxx + xxxxx + xxxxxx-xxx (12 digits + 5 digits + 6-3 digits)

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
FFili2
Beginner

Intel Corporation skrev:

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the information. Can you provide the serial number of your X520 server adapter?

The serial number can be found on the white sticker on the Network adapter itself. Format goes like xxxxxxxxxx + xxxxx + xxxxxx-xxx (12 digits + 5 digits + 6-3 digits)

Thanks,

wb

I cannot find an exact number like this on the lables of the card.

One (white) lable sais - 901227 as well as E10G42BTDAG1P5 (each number with a corresponding barcode).

Another lable is the Yottamark-lable. It checks out if you go to the verify.yottamark.com-site.. I can supply it if needed but perhaps in a private message?

Perhaps I'm not looking good enough.. I did not pull out the card but meerly opened the chassi to peek down. Is there perhaps a way to get these number by software?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the information. You may also go to the device manager->network adapter->

locate the entry for the x520 , do a right click to click on the Property

Click on the link speed tab-> Identify the adapter

Provide me the information listed on the pop up windows. contains e.g PBA # , bus type, etrack ID, mac address and etec...

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Another option. You can also use Yottamark to verify the network adapter at verify.yottamark.com, the result will display the serial number in which you can provide to me.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
FFili2
Beginner

Thought I posted it like this if you don't mind.. This is port 1 (I believe) where I have a Cisco-branded SFP+ direct attch cable plugged in (which is recognized correctly by the card but does not fit our HP-based infrastructure). I borrowed it from a friend who works at an ISP company. The other port (port 2) that has the HP Direct Attach cable is shut down and will not display any information (like this) while the cable is plugged in).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the information. The part number E66560-004 is found to be an OEM part for this network adapter. You may check on this website the list of part number for Intel network adapter

at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005612.html

The part number for Intel manufactured X520-DA2 is E68793-xxx which is different from the part number you provided. As you mentioned they resell (Intel) cards with HP label so this is an HP OEM network adapter. I would suggest you to contact HP the OEM vendor still for the cable compatibility, OEM network adapter might have made changes which is beyond our control.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
FFili2
Beginner

Thank you for the information. The part number E66560-004 is found to be an OEM part for this network adapter. You may check on this website the list of part number for Intel network adapter

at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005612.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005612.html

The part number for Intel manufactured X520-DA2 is E68793-xxx which is different from the part number you provided. As you mentioned they resell (Intel) cards with HP label so this is an HP OEM network adapter. I would suggest you to contact HP the OEM vendor still for the cable compatibility, OEM network adapter might have made changes which is beyond our control.

OK. I cannot find any information on that URL that suggests this is a HP OEM card. It might very well be but this is still unknown (in my oppinion). When looking at the HPE site on their OEM-versions of your X520-DA2 card they seem to have an entirely differnt part number hirarcy. Please see http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04605575.pdf http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04605575.pdf for reference. Interresting enough is that this spec-sheet also lists my exact cable (HP X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable J9283B)

Let's assume it is OEM - but would an OEM card really behave differently than an Intel "original" adapter? Would it have a different firmware (accepting differently coded SFP+ DACs)? Please answer this conclusivly!

0 Kudos
FFili2
Beginner

When doing some Google:ing you also find that this number only seems to refeer to the PCB-version.

Please see https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiei6bfr8rNAhXrK8AKHUJyCiEQFggtMAM&url=https://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/47135ED0-1CD7-4A61-B62F-DA208A6AE7CB/PCN112020-01.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE4fFbAWNDfxpYJDUhtFvV4ECYgHw https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiei6bfr8rNAhXrK8AKHUJyCiEQFggtM… as an example. the -004 at the end seems to be the revision of the board. From what I can find there is 001 through 006 versions out there. Hence - this is not a part number (at all).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the clarification. Based on the part number, I can confirm this is an OEM part but I don't have the exact OEM vendor. As you mentioned "Apparently they resell your (Intel) cards with HP label hence compatibility should not be a problem." Can you check with them if this NIC is their OEM NIC? If yes, they should be able to confirm the cable compatibility.

The website information indicating the SFP direct attach cable requirement, this is applicable to Intel retail X520 NIC

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005528.html

The board number you mentioned is the reference information we use to identify if it is an OEM part.

Hope this clarified. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
FFili2
Beginner

I have checked with HP and they claim all thier cards are "physically" (with a sticker) labled HP. This one is not. This one does not have any lables except the ones you (Intel) put on (part number, barcodes, Yotta mark, etc.). It might still be OEM but I find it rather surprising you cannot read this our from the board in a more conclusive way.. It seems like you are pretty much "guessing you way around" with this..

As for clarification - yes I would like to know if an OEM-version (let's say HP, for the sake of the example) would accept HP SFP+ modules (optic or copper does not make any difference). Yes answer YES or NO, please.

IF you answer NO, then please specify which SFP+ (not SFP but SFP+) modules it will support! Please give a full list of supported modules. And please DO NOT point me to a website/URL.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Thank you for the clarification. As mentioned I can confirm this is an OEM model but I do not have the information which OEM vendor this card belongs to.

1) I can confirm for Intel retail X520 series network adapter, the supported list for Direct attach cables and optic modules are as follow:

Intel® Ethernet SFP Twinaxial Cable, 1 meter XDACBL1M

Intel® Ethernet SFP Twinaxial Cable, 3 meters XDACBL3M

Intel® Ethernet SFP Twinaxial Cable, 5 meters XDACBL5M

For supported SFT Fiber modules, please see below:

supplier Type Part numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel® Ethernet SFP SR Optics - E10GSFPSR

Intel® Ethernet SFP LR Optics - E10GSFPLR

Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP SR (bailed) AFBR-703SDZ-IN2

Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP SR (bailed) FTLX8571D3BCV-IT

Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP SR (bailed) AFBR-703SDDZ-IN1

Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP LR (bailed) FTLX1471D3BCV-IT

Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP LR (bailed) AFCT-701SDZ-IN2

Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP LR (bailed) AFCT-701SDDZ-IN1

Supplier Type Part numbers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finisar 1000BASE-T SFP FCLF8522P2BTL

Avago 1000BASE-T SFP ABCU-5710RZ

The following is a list of SFP modules that have received some testing. Not all modules are applicable to all devices.

Supplier Type Part Numbers

-----------------------------------------------------

Finisar SFP SR bailed, 10g single rate FTLX8571D3BCL

Avago SFP SR bailed, 10g single rate AFBR-700SDZ

Finisar SFP LR bailed, 10g single rate FTLX1471D3BCL

2) For your inquiry if OEM version (let's say HP*) would accept HP* SFP+ modules (optic or copper), let me try further check if we have any information to share. I will update you once there is any finding.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

Your X520-DA2 is found to be an OEM generic SKU, which means the product is for all OEM.

Use Intel validated cable for Intel adapter, we only have validated Intel Brand DAC cables (XDACBL1M, XDACBL3M and XDACBL5M) and fiber module as stated in http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005528.html which mentioned to your earlier.

If you want to use HP* cable, Please validate the compatibility with HP*. (which i understand you already contact HP*)

Thanks,

wb
0 Kudos
FFili2
Beginner

Dear Intel!

This entire situation just make me sick and tired.. Why on earth does one develop standards just to put up "branding walls" around them..? I find this entire situation with "only being able to use branded/coded SFP and SFP+ modulesin the respective manufacturer's products completely based on protectionism and nothing else..

Back in the days when it all was GBICs and this situation was not present everything just _worked_.. This is not criticism against Intel alone but against the entire networking sector. But one would think Intel, being and open minded company would skip this kind of nonsense.

I've bought another network card now and everything works fine and dandy with my HP branded DAC..

0 Kudos
Spencer1230
Beginner

I know this is a long shot because this thread is over six years old, but I have a similar situation. 

May I ask what was the model of the other network card and cable that worked?

Thank you,

Spencer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Filip,

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way but for OEM NIC, the OEM may have

make modification on the NIC to their own design or feature which is beyond our support, that is why

it is recommended to contact the OEM vendor especially if there is hardware issue.\

Hope this clarified.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos