Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

X520-DA2 not Linux-compatible?

LGrop
Beginner

I'm trying to get an Intel X520-DA2 to work with RHEL 5.2x64, after running make and make install on the driver, the system kernel-panics on bootup. I spoke to L1 support for about an hour and a half and they weren't able to get it going. I called back, and have been on hold for almost 2 hours so far without having spoken to a person. This is urgent as this is a system being used to ingest video for a feature film being shot starting tomorrow.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Statue,

Thank you for posting.

I understand you are using Intel X520-DA2. What type of modules are installed on the network card?

Please visit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/69658/Intel-Ethernet-Server-Adapter-X520-Series Intel® Download Center to find the adapter's drivers. If you select Linux as your operating system, you'll see these versions:

1. Network Adapter Driver for PCI-E 10 Gigabit Network Connections under Linux*

Release Date: 2/23/2015

Version: 3.23.2.1 (latest version)

2. Network Adapter Driver for PCI-E 10 Gigabit Network Connections under Linux*

Release Date: 2/26/2014

Version: 3.19.1 (previously released)

In case you continue to encounter the same issue, please provide us error logs/messages.

I understand that you were able to talk to our support team. Were you given a service ticket number? If yes, please send it to me via private message (PM), so I can further look into the issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
LGrop
Beginner

Hello Sandy:

No modules installed yet - I don't know yet what the end-user is using. They are hard-wired copper cables, I believe. I will know later today. Version 3.23.2.1 is the one which crashed the system. Note that I am using a mainstream Linux with an unpatched kernel. I can't provide error logs because the system won't boot with the card/driver installed. I sent a screenshot of the kernel panic to support - case/ticker number is 8001109796.

I flew to Atlanta to look at this problem, and am in Atlanta now, and would greatly appreciate help today.

Lance

0 Kudos
LGrop
Beginner
0 Kudos
LGrop
Beginner
0 Kudos
LGrop
Beginner

I'm still trying to get Level 2 on the phone - I've held on 3 different days for 2 hours each time before giving up...On hold right now (about 15 minutes so far).

0 Kudos
Douglas_B_Intel
Employee

http://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/465/ Intel Ethernet Drivers and Utilities / Bugs / # 465 oops in ixgbe_probe on 2.6.18 kernel

This sounds like the issue you are running into. It also covers the proposed solution:

The correct fix is to move pci_save_state() after the call to pci_set_drvdata(), since the remove function relies on the adapter (derived from pci_get_drvdata) check to avoid double freenig resources in case of an error in ixgbe_probe().

Try that as see if that helps.

LGrop
Beginner

Hello Doug - many thanks, but it did not fix the problem. Still on hold - 56 minutes so far.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Statue,

I've checked the ticket and saw that you've resolved the issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos