Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

X520-SR2. Also possible to connect LR optics?

LM1
Beginner

Hello community,

I am wondering if it is possible to connect a LR optic to one port of the x520-SR2 card or if it only supports SR optics. The chip should be the same for all X520 models or am I missing something?

Otherwise I guess I have to go along with one X520-LR1 and one X520-SR1 which is more expensive.

Also, I am wondering if the X520 cards support 1Gbps aswell since I wont be able to upgrade both ends simultaneously. It should be backward compatible but I know that some SFP+ Modules for example support 10Gb only.

I hope you can help me or maybe lead to the right direction.

Best Regards

luigima

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello luigima,

I just moved this discussion to the Wired Ethernet Support Community.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Luigima,

Thank you for writing in Wired Communities. I will further check if X520-SR2 can support LR fiber optic. For the gigabit speed, X520-SR2 can support 1 Gbps data rates if using the fiber optical module. Please refer to page 4 of the product brief

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-products/converged-network-adapters/ethernet-x520-server-adapters-brief.html. I will get back to you with the LR optic inquiry. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Luigima,

You can use LR optical module on X520-SR2. Please refer to additional reference information at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

-Can I mix different SFP module types and cables on a dual port adapter from the Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520 Series?

Yes. You can install any mix of supported SFP+ optical modules, SFP modules, or direct attach cables on the same dual port adapter. You can plug any supported module into any port.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Luigima,

Please feel free to update me if there is other inquiries. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
AMAHE7
Beginner

Hi Luigima. I had the same question and foung it, Could you please let me know if actually you tested it. Which means did you put your x520-SR2 card to work with both sfps modules (SR and LR) did it work?

0 Kudos