Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

X540-AT2 C-NICs passing all tests but not detecting cables

hihihi8
Beginner

Hi all. I have two X540-AT2 based 10Gbe network cards that both died in the same way: they will show up as functional devices in device manager, pass all tests in intel PROSet adapter config. utility, but will not detect a cable. Drivers are the latest edition, just reinstalled.

Plugging in an ethernet cable in any of the ports will not yield a lit LED, but using the "identify adapter" button on PROSet will cause the adapter's respective port LEDs to blink.

Am I looking at dead ports or dead X540-AT2 controllers? I know the PHYs are integrated into the dies on these C-NICs, but how does it pass the loopback test if it's faulty?

Alternatively, the ports could be dead. But 4 ports across two cards, both deaths occurring in pairs, what are the chances? The ports are JT4-1108HL from PulseJack if that makes a difference. Maybe faulty port magnetics are the cause?

They were both working a while back. Then I stopped using them for a while. One died first, while the other remained functional, and now the second one is dead too.

One die reads ELX540AT2, the other JLX540AT2. At this point, it's mostly curiosity.

Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hihihi8,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with the network controller.

Before we proceed, we need to make sure if the issue that you are experiencing belongs to the correct thread.

1. Since you provided the type of ports that you have used, is this a custom design network adapter that is using an X540-AT2 ethernet controller?

2.We presume that you already tried different cables to test. Are we correct on this presumption?

3. For how many months, did the card worked before it exhibited the issue?

4. Are there any recent changes done on the card?

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
hihihi8
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the response.

1. Based on what model numbers I could find, I believe they are both Silicom PE210G2I40-T cards based off the X540-AT2 controllers. 

2. Yes, I've tried multiple cables from regular cat5 to cat6a to cat7, connected to various devices from other computers, to 10GbE-capable routers, etc.

3. The cards were functional for a year before the first died. With the first one dead, the second one was only used intermittently until a few days ago I tried to use it again, having sat in the system for around a year until then.

4. Nope, no changes. Had the drivers originally, didn't work so I updated the drivers, still didn't work.

No visible signs of damage on either PCBs either.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hihihi8,

Thank you for your response.

As much as we would like to help you, since your card is a third party assembled one, it would be best if you check first with them if the card is faulty or if there is something else that you can do to mitigate the issue. It looks like there is a hardware fault if we consider all the information that you have provided so far, given that the hardware is manufactured and produced by an OEM, it would be best to coordinate with them. You may want to ask if they have a NVM firmware update as this can be related to the issue that you are having.

We will do a courtesy check with you after three business days to see on how things are going with your communication with the OEM.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hihihi8,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to check with the card's manufacturer since we have not heard from you. 

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hihihi8,

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment.

We hope that our suggestion for you to coordinate with the manufacturer of your card directed you to a resolution for your concern.

We were waiting for your feedback since it is important for us to give you the right solution on your concern.

As much as we would like to continue assisting you, we need to close it to avoid overwhelming your inbox with notifications.

We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos