Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

X540-T2 for Server 2016 Cluster Network

idata
Employee

I have a couple of questions regarding the use of an Intel X540-T2 10G Ethernet card as the main network card in a Windows Server 2016 cluster:

1. I cannot find official Intel drivers for the X540-T2 for Windows Server 2016. The page at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 indicates that the drivers provided in that package are not compatible with Windows Server 2016. Can someone point me in the direction of Intel provided Server 2016 compatible drivers for the X540-T2 cards?
  2. I am using a pair of these cards as the main network cards for a Windows Server 2016 cluster running the File Server role to provide a highly available set of file shares. The cards are currently using the Microsoft in-box drivers. When I configure the File Server role in the cluster, there's an error relating to the ISATAP tunnelling address not being able to be brought online. The error that's shown in the event log is:

IPv6 tunnel address resource 'IP Address 2002:xxxx:xxxx:x:x:xxxx:aa.bb.cc.dd' failed to come online. Cluster network 'Cluster Network 1' associated with dependent IP address (IPv4) resource 'IP address aa.bb.cc.dd' does not support ISATAP tunnelling. Please ensure that the cluster network supports ISATAP tunnelling.This error was not showing for the cluster network itself, but has only appeared when I've configured the File Server Role. The error was also not showing for the same role that was running on an old pair of servers on Windows Server 2012 and using Broadcom NICs. I've searched online and there's not much out there about resolving this issue and I was wondering whether anyone has seen this issue before and has steps to resolve it?

Many thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the post. We do not have Windows 2016 driver support for X540-T2, you may refer to this website for the list of supported Intel NIC in Windows 2016.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000022599.html

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi wb,

Are there plans to provide drivers for the X540-T2, or are we relying on the Windows Server 2016 in-box drivers from now on?

There are drivers for Windows 10 for this card, so I would hope that Windows Server 2016 drivers will be made available!

Many thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the reply. I will need to check on this and will update you.

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Andy,

Further checking, you can use this Windows 2016 driver for X540 series at

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26092/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2016-

Hope this helps.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Andy,

Please feel free to update me if further assistance needed.

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos