Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

X540-T2 on DELL T610 only gets 1Gbit

FVaz
Beginner

I have installed an X540-T2 on a Dell T610 server.

The card is in 8x slot, but I can't get more that 1Gbit when I try to copy files between two identical servers (T610 with X540-T2 card).

The card requires PCIe 2.1 and the server only has PCIe 2.0, can this be the problem?

I have tried  a direct connection with a cross RJ45 cable and using an NETGEAR 10GB M4300 switch between them.

Thanks for any suggestion.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with your network adapter.

Before we answer your question, please allow us to some logs from your system so we can determine the configuration of your system which will help us accurately answer your inquiry.

Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-. After running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

The servers are running Windows Server 2003 R2, do you have an older version of the utility that runs on this version of windows server ?

The driver that I have installed is the last version that supports Windows Server 2003 R2, version 18.3

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for your response.

The application may still run on Windows Server 2003. Have you already tried it and you were not able to make it run?

Additionally, please also allow us to ask some additional questions:

1. Was the card working fine before in terms of speed?

2. May we have the PBA number of the card? You may refer to this page to find the marking, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html.

3. May we know if you have done some troubleshooting before you created the forum?

By the way, thank you for letting us know that you have tried the most recent driver version.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hello Alfredo,

Regarding your questions:

1. Was the card working fine before in terms of speed?

No, we bought 2 identical cards, and there installed on two identical servers DELLT610. Since installation the cards show information that they running at 10Gbit but only work at 7% of the 10Gbits.

2. May we have the PBA number of the card? 

I have been working from home, so only tomorrow I will get a picture of the cards, when I return to office.

3. May we know if you have done some troubleshooting before you created the forum?

As I explained, I tried to connect the two servers using a cross-over cable RJ-45, to remove the 10 Gbits switch from the problem, although the switch indicates that the ports where the cards are connect were working at 10Gbits.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for your response.

We deeply appreciate your cooperation on this.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hello Alfredo,

The card as only these labels.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

After thoroughly checking your concern, please try to check if the speed will increase after trying the suggestions listed on this page, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005811/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html.

We look forward to hearing from you. Should we not hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

The card it on a x8 PCIe slot and is the only card connected, in both servers.

I attach a image from the driver properties were it shows that the PCIe slot is x8.

Is any way to configure the card to work on PCIe 2.0 instead of PCIe 2.1 ?

When I select the driver properties it takes 30 secs to open the tabs view, if I do it with other onboard network card is takes less than a second. It seams that anything I do with the card is very slow in terms of configuration...

Best regards,

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for trying our recommendation.

PCI-E was designed to be backwards compatible so a PCI-E 2.1 card should work without issues on a PCI-E 2.0 port not to mention that the PCE-E 2.1 works on almost the same speed as PCI-E 2.0. If we think of a reason of what is causing the lag when you try to access the advanced settings of the card, then it could be the driver. May we know where you downloaded the driver and what version is currently installed?

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

I used the last version to windows server 2003 R2, that was 18.3.

It was downloaded from INTEL site, I think, I will try to confirm this.

But could you send me the link of the driver to Windows Server 2003 R2 ?

Best regards

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for your response and you have a very good follow-up question.

The reason why we asked is after checking the supported operating systems of the network card, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html, Windows Server 2003 R2 is not on the list. We also tried to look for the driver in our database, and we were not able to locate the driver. The oldest driver that we have only provides support for Windows 2008 R2.

This led us to ask to question on where you have sourced the driver. We were suspecting that the card is incompatible with the OS which is resulting to the issue that you are experiencing.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

The card works with Windows Server 2003, the problem it that the Windows Server 2003 has been removed from the list of supported OS on recent versions of the driver.

The information that I have is that the last version of the driver that worked with Windows Server 2003 was the 18.3. The current version is 26 and the oldest that can be download from intel site is 22.10.

Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows Server 2012*

But I need the last version that works with WS2003.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

Just a comment, I think it's normal stop supporting old OS on new versions of drivers, but allowing users to download old versions of drivers that support OS, that at not supported on current driver versions is good sense...

Many of us, System Administrators are still working with older and very older systems..

Best regards,

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

I found the link from I downloaded the driver

Download Intel® QuickData Technology Device Drivers, Final Release for Windows Server 2003*

But it's not working now.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for finding this link for us.

Since you cannot run our logs generating utility, we need your cooperation to please provide us a screenshot of the driver version in the device manager. In that way, we can see all of the details of the driver installed.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

I send you the information on the attach image.

The driver version is 3.4.47.0 from intel.

Best regards,

Francisco

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you providing those information.

We truly appreciate your fast replies.

Please allow us some time to check on this.

We will get back to you no later than 4 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

We are currently investigating your concern. We have a utility where you can set the speed of each port on the card. We were about to explore that for you; unfortunately, the software is only for Windows Server 2012 and above. We will continue checking if it is possible.

While we are checking, we need to confirm the speed that you are getting when transferring files and how you measure it.

To confirm, are you getting 1Gbit or 1 GB speeds when you try to transfer files? May we know how you are checking this? Is it through the Windows file transfer speed indicator?

We are looking forward to your reply. Should we not get your response, we will check back with you after three business days?

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

Yes I used Task Manager to verify Networking speed between the two servers that have the X540-T2 cards. Using the Netgear M4300 switch and using a cross-over RJ54 cable in a direct connection.

In both cases I only get speeds below 10% of the 10Gbits.

Best regards,

Francisco

0 Kudos