Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

X540-T2 on DELL T610 only gets 1Gbit

FVaz
Beginner

I have installed an X540-T2 on a Dell T610 server.

The card is in 8x slot, but I can't get more that 1Gbit when I try to copy files between two identical servers (T610 with X540-T2 card).

The card requires PCIe 2.1 and the server only has PCIe 2.0, can this be the problem?

I have tried  a direct connection with a cross RJ45 cable and using an NETGEAR 10GB M4300 switch between them.

Thanks for any suggestion.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for providing that information.

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

Here are the results of our investigation and corresponding suggestions or questions:

1. Please check if the x8 port where you inserted the network card on is not set to x4. Some boards have options where these ports are configured as x4 by default. You may refer to the note on page 39 of this document https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28410/eng/Adapter_User_Guide_26_0.pdf for more information.

2. Have you tried different ports on the switch or router where this network card is connected?

3. Is this the exact model of your switch, https://www.ca.netgear.com/business/products/switches/managed/M4300-96X.aspx#tab-techspecs

Thank you for reading this post. We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

Regarding your questions:

1-In the Dell OpenManage of the servir it reports 8x, see image on attach. 

2-The switch is brand new, and I have the same problem in the second server with the same network card, that is in port 3 of the switch. This server is on port 1 of the switch.

3-The switch that I'm using is this one (M4300 24x24F)

M4300 M4300-24X24F | Fully Managed Switches | Switches | Business | NETGEAR

Can you get the drivers of this card that work on Windows Server 2003 (32bits and 64 bits) ?

Intel must have those drivers even if not published on his site, no?

Best regards,

Francisco

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Franz,

Thank you for your response and for providing more details regarding the issue,

We will continue checking this, and the information provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

We are humbly sorry for the lengthy wait. We checked your issue thoroughly together with our engineers, and reviewed the case multiple times to find a favorable solution for you; however, as much as we would like to provide you one, please see our findings below:

The Windows 2003 Operating System (OS) is no longer supported. Inbox drivers that come with the Operating system are all you can use. We don’t have any drivers or software support for that OS.

Please let us know if you have any feedback regarding this.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to assess the answers that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
FVaz
Beginner

Hello Alfredo,

I contact Intel support and they send me the last version of the driver that works on W2003 Server, I will try it today on a test machine before use it on production servers.

I will inform you of the results.

Do you know any software that I can use to test network speed?

Best Regards,

Francisco

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

Thank you for providing us with an update on the case.

We will gladly wait for the results of the latest drivers that were given to you.

You may use iperf3 (https://software.es.net/iperf/) to measure the speed. 

We look forward to your update. Should we not hear from you, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to carry out the recommendations that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Fvaz, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos