Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4874 Discussions

X550-AT Port Link issue after firmware update

jdaws6
Beginner

Hello,

I recently purchased 10x Intel X550-AT based NIC cards (Startech ST10GPEXNDPI to be exact) for NBase-T network testing. When I received the card I installed them into an Ubunto 18.04.3 x86 machine (4.15 kernel) and confirmed both ports were functional. However I discovered that with the firmware version currently on the units, only 100M/1G/ and 1G speeds were supported.

Looking at the X550 datasheet I found a note saying a firmware update would be required to support the NBase-T speeds. So I downloaded the X550 NVM Linux Update Utility at the link below and followed the readme instructions to update the NVM configuration on the card.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28338/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Adapters-550-Series-Linux-?product=93524

The process completed successfully and after a power cycle I confirmed that 2.5GBase-T link was operational on port 0 (bottom RJ45 port). However Port 1 (top RJ45 port) will no longer link up at any speed.

In linux the IXGBE driver displays no error messages or warnings about this non functional interface. I can ifup/down the port without error however link is never reported in the OS and the LEDs on the RJ45 port never turn on.

tl;dr X550-AT based NIC worked fine out of the box but did not support 2.5GBase-T. After a firmware update port 0 (bottom RJ45) works at NBase-T speeds, port 1 (Top RJ45) will not link up at all.

Any thoughts?

--- EDIT ---

Okay I decided to take a fresh card and check which NVM version it uses:

[00:001:00:00]: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller X550-T2

Vendor         : 8086

Device         : 1563

Subvendor       : 8086

Subdevice       : 0000

Revision        : 1

LAN MAC        : 000ACD38FE90

Alt MAC        : 000ACD38FE90

SAN MAC        : FFFFFFFFFFFF

ETrackId        : 80000498

NVM Version      : 1.00(1.00)

PBA          : 000500-000

VPD status       : Valid

VPD size        : 38

NVM update       : No config file entry

checksum       : Valid

OROM update      : No config file entry

CIVD         : 1.1276.0

PXE         : 2.3.58, checksum Valid

EFI         : 5.1.19, checksum None

[00:001:00:01]: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller X550-T2

Vendor         : 8086

Device         : 1563

Subvendor       : 8086

Subdevice       : 0000

Revision        : 1

LAN MAC        : 000ACD38FE91

Alt MAC        : 000ACD38FE91

SAN MAC        : FFFFFFFFFFFF

ETrackId        : 80000498

NVM Version      : 1.00(1.00)

PBA          : 000500-000

VPD status       : Valid

VPD size        : 38

NVM update       : No config file entry

checksum       : Valid

OROM update      : No config file entry

CIVD         : 1.1276.0

PXE         : 2.3.58, checksum Valid

EFI         : 5.1.19, checksum None

It turns out I was not correct when I said 2.5G does not work with this firmware above. The NIC / Linux side reports link up, however my partner device does not report any link.

After performing the NVM firmware upgrade above both sides report link up.....

What is different between NVM versions 1.0 and 2.1? Does this have something to do with additional support of the NBase-T 2.5G Standard or something?

The partner device uses an AQR412C PHY chip which has been tested against many other devices without issue.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jdaws6,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the PBA marking of your Intel Ethernet adapter fore us to check on your query. This would allow us to identify if you are using a Retail or OEM version of the adapter. It consist of 6-digit number located at the last part of the serial number.You may refer to the link below on where to find the requested information. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your response.

In case we don't hear from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jdaws6,

Good day!

Please provide the requested information for us to proceed checking on your query.

Awaiting to your reply

In case we don't hear from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jdaws6,

How are you today?

We'd like to inform you that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future.

May you have lovely day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos