Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4874 Discussions

X550-BT2 PCIe card

jreed
Beginner

I want to test the Intel® Ethernet Controller X550-BT2 for performance.  Are there any off the shelf PCIe cards that use this particular controller?  I found a number of X550 PCIe cards available online but suspect they are using the -AT2 or -AT controllers, since they list PCIe v3.0 in the specifications.

The device I would be looking to interface to is limited to PCIe v2.1, so I am thinking the -BT2 would be a better fit.  Are the drivers the same?  If so, I might be able to make use of the -AT2 or -AT cards.  I know PCIe is suppose to be backwards compatible, but would feel better about using the chip spec'd for PCIe v2.1

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jreed,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

To proceed checking your query, kindly provide the following information.

1. Can you please share more details regarding your intended configuration.

2. Intel® Ethernet Controller X550-BT2 is an Ethernet controller designed for LAN-on-Motherboard (LOM) & Converged Network Adapters (CNA).

3. Refer to below link for the comparison of Intel® Ethernet Controller X550-AT, AT2 and BT2. They are all using the same controller which is Intel® Ethernet Controller X550.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=93524,84329,84328

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jreed
Beginner

1. We currently have an embedded ARM processor with built-in PCIe interface, which we use to attach an i350, to give us four 1GbE ports for moving data via Ethernet.  We would like to increase the overall throughput when moving data across this interface so are looking to layout a new Ethernet controller chip with 2.5G or 5G or 10G interface.

We have an eval board with a PCIe slot which I would like to use to benchmark whether our current processor can realize the throughput of a 2.5G or 5G or 10G Ethernet interface, before selecting a controller chip and going to layout.

2. Not too familiar with the terms LOM & CNA, but want to use it in a similar way as we are currently using the i350 controller.  Noting that we evaluated the i350 controller with i350-T4 PCIe card. 

Question: I don't suppose the i350 controller or something with a compatible foot print can do 2.5G or higher?

3. There are PCIe cards out there, but having trouble determining which controller is being used.  In most cases the link speed is listed in the specifcations @ PCIe 3.0, so assuming -AT2.  Found this card which did not specify a link speed but mentioned x8 lanes which made me wonder whether it might have the -BT2: Intel X550-T2 - network adapter - PCIe x8 - 10Gb Ethernet x 2 - 00MM860 - Network Adapters - CDWG.com  I noticed in the X550 Controller product breif, top of page 3, that only the -BT2 is listed to support 8 lanes:

333293-Intel Ethernet Controller X550-product-brief (3).pdf

Question:  Should it make a difference whether AT2/BT2 for evaluation purposes?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jreed,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Please allow us to further check your request. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jreed,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

Please be informed that more information about X550 specifications are in "Intel® Ethernet Controller X550 Datasheet and Specification Update documents". They are located in Intel Resource and Design Center. This requires an access so we will transfer this request to proper support group to guide you acquiring an access.

Thank you for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos