Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

X550-T2 NIC on Ubuntu 20.04: link status issue

jfr
Beginner

Hello,

I posted a question in this forum a few months ago: https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/X550-T2-NIC-on-Ubuntu-20-04-link-down-but-still-seen-up-on-the/m-p/1290568

The problem was that when I set an X550-T2 NIC down with "ip link set down", the switch which is connected to this NIC was still seeing the link as up.

After upgrading the NIC firmware to the latest available version, the problem still occured.

We contacted the vendor of the NIC (HPE), and they told us that the NICs we purchased from them use a standard Intel firmware, not modified by HPE. And as it is an Intel firmware, they told us to contact Intel for support...

Can you help us again to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Julien

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I hope you're having a wonderful day.

I have reviewed your last ticket and thread regarding this request and we have carefully check everything and even consulted our Engineers before we directed you to the best source of support which is the manufacturer of the card.

Aside from HPE saying that they are using a standard firmware, can you also tell us what was the explanation of HPE for us to further check?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jfr
Beginner

Hello,

here is what HPE support told us:

I quote: "for Cloudline servers, whenever the vendor of the option provides a generic firmware, HPE has used them for Cloudline. You can download the latest firmware for Intel NIC’s from the Intel web side. Intel is responsible for the quality of the firmware..."

It is still unclear to me if the NIC they sold us is manufactured by Intel or by HPE. Would a photo of the NIC could help to figure this out? Or any way to check if there is a serial number that could tell who is the manufacturer?

Here is an output of the nvmupdate64e tool inventory (before applying the update):

[00:023:00:00]: Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2                                                                                                                                                                                Vendor                 : 8086                                                                                                                                                                                                              Device                 : 1563                                                                                                                                                                                                              Subvendor              : 8086                                                                                                                                                                                                              Subdevice              : 001A                                                                                                                                                                                                              Revision               : 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                 LAN MAC                : A0369FF5ABF8                                                                                                                                                                                                      Alt MAC                : A0369FF5ABF8                                                                                                                                                                                                      SAN MAC                : A0369FF5ABFA                                                                                                                                                                                                      ETrackId               : 80000482                                                                                                                                                                                                          SerialNumber           : 9FF5ABFFFFF80000                                                                                                                                                                                                  NVM Version            : 1.00(1.00)                                                                                                                                                                                                        PBA                    : H49289-010
VPD status             : Valid                                                                                                                                                                                                             VPD size               : 38                                                                                                                                                                                                                NVM update             : No config file entry                                                                                                                                                                                                checksum             : Valid                                                                                                                                                                                                             OROM update            : No config file entry                                                                                                                                                                                                CIVD                 : 1.1276.0                                                                                                                                                                                                            PXE                  : 2.3.58, checksum Valid
EFI                  : 5.1.19, checksum None

Regards,

Julien

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, if you are using a PCIe network card, kindly take a photo on both sides for us to validate the card. For us to know as well which team should assist you regarding the issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a follow up on the pictures of the card for us to validate the markings. Please send us a reply as soon as you have them.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
jfr
Beginner

Hello Michael,

I still do not have a picture of the card, please do not close this ticket. It might take a few days to get it as our machines are in a remote datacenter. I'll post it as soon as I can. 

Regards,

Julien

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

Thank you for the update. Can you tell us when can we expect your next reply with the photos for me to know when to make another follow up?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just making a follow up on the photos for us to further check the card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
jfr
Beginner

Hello Michael,

someone of my team should go to our datacenter tomorrow evening and take a photo of the NIC. I'll post it as soon as I have it. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Julien

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

Thank you so much for the update. We will wait for your next post and hopefully with the photos of the card focusing on the markings for us to validate the card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

I hope you enjoyed your weekend. I am just making a follow up on the photos of the card for us validate all the markings and identify the card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
jfr
Beginner

hello,

I should have the photos by tomorrow evening, my colleague did not have time to take photos of the card last week. Sorry for the delay.

Regards,

Julien

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

Appreciate the update. We will wait for your next post with the attach photos of the card for me to validate the markings.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
jfr
Beginner

Hello,

here is a photo of the NIC. I could only get a photo of one side, let me know if this enough to identify the card.

Regards,

Julien

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

Thank you for sending the pictures, however we are hoping that you can provide the pictures on both sides of the card for us to check and validate all the markings. Let me check and see what I can do with this markings and your inquiry. Please give us 2 to 3 working days to further check this.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
jfr
Beginner

Hello,

from my colleague who took the photos, there was no markings on the other side, only electronic components. This is all I can provide now.

Regards,

jfr

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello jfr,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update. We reviewed the details that you provided on the previous thread and this thread. According to the details, the problem does not occur with firmware version 0x80000492 and occurs on following firmware versions 0x80000482 and 0x8000156d. However, as much as we want to assist you with this issue, we are really sorry because we have limited support on OEM products and our firmware updates are only for Intel branded adapters.

This is our latest firmware version for Intel Adapter X550 series posted in our download site:

Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X550 Series

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19358/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapter-x550-series.html

Based on its readme file, this package is intended to be used on Intel branded adapters and OEM is still best source of support. It may work or it may damage the OEM adapter after the update.

Limitations and Prerequisites

=============================

This package is intended to be used on Intel branded adapters. Please contact

your OEM vendor for an appropriate package. In some cases this package may

update an OEM device. This package only updates the NVM image for the device

family listed on the package. Each Intel Ethernet product family has its own

NVM Update Package.

Because of this we would recommend to contact HP again as our support is limited since you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller. We understand that this is an Intel Ethernet X550 controller however, For OEM brands, it would still be best for you to get in touch with HP for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so that you will not lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

If you still have clarifications, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
jfr
Beginner

ok thanks, ticket can be closed.

Regards,

julien

0 Kudos