Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

X550-T2 on Windows 7: Cannot auto-negotiate to 2.5GbE or 5GbE

SJubi
Beginner

I've seen in this thread /thread/124388 https://communities.intel.com/thread/124388 that the X550-T2 supports NBASE-T (2.5GbE and 5GbE) speeds in Windows by letting auto-negotiation enabled. This does works well for me on systems running Windows 10 64-bit, but I am running into issues in Windows 7, either 32 or 64-bit. The network adapter always auto-negotiates down to 1GbE speed in Windows 7. In all these cases I am connecting the network adapter to a device that supports 1GbE, 2.5GbE and 5GbE speeds.

I installed the latest driver package from the website, version 23.2 dated May 30th 2018.

Is this speed not supported for Windows 7?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Boricacid,

Please confirm if this is an Intel retail version of the X550-T2 adapter or an OEM version from another vendor. Please provide a https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- System Support Utility log to give us a better idea of the configurations and drivers for the adapter. This will not collect any personal information.
  • Download and run the .exe from the link above
  • Check "everything" then click "scan"
  • When scan is finished click "next"
  • Save the log and attach it to a post
The https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008490/software/software-applications.html FAQs have additional information about this utility. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Full driver support is in Windows 7 64-bit only for the X550-T2. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
SJubi
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

As requested I am attaching the result of the scan done with your System Support Utility.

I am unsure how to tell if it is a retail or OEM version of the adapter. It was branded as "Intel X550-T2" and came with an Intel-branded driver CD.

I hope this helps figure out the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Boricacid,

Thank you for the SSU log. From the logs I can tell the X550-T2 is an Intel retail version. Please let us investigate the issue, and get back to you soon. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Boricacid,

NBASE-T will not be supported for the X550-T2 on Windows 7. The drivers for Windows 7 are no longer being updated. If it is an option please switch to another operating system, as it worked in Windows 10. If you have any questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
SJubi
Beginner

This is disappointing news... The latest statistics show that Windows 7 still has about 40% of the operating systems market share.

Do you have any knowledge of another Intel network adapter that supports NBASE-T speeds in Windows 7?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Boricacid,

Thank you for the reply. Please allow us to check if we have any adapters that will support NBASE-T in Windows 7. We will get back to you as soon as possible. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Boricacid,

Thank you for your interest, but we do not offer an Ethernet adapter that supports NBASE-T on Windows 7 due to Windows 7 drivers no longer being updated. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
JKang24
Beginner

Hello Intel Support Team,

X550-T1 also does not support to NBASE-T in Windows 7, right?

​Could you recommend another network cards to use 5g or 10g ? :(

Best regards,

Kang​

0 Kudos