Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5020 Discussions

X710 Auto-negotiation / advertised speed issue firmware issue?

Echo-Bravo
Beginner

Hello,

I've run into an auto-negotiation endless loop between two directly connected Intel Converged Network Adapter X710 devices connected over fiber. The following observations can be seen.

• This problem is observed after system start-up or not at all. 
  • This problem does not occur often, approximately 5% of the time. 
  • When this problem happens, the link is observed to constantly go up and down.  Seen similarly on both ends.  
  • This problem seems to happen when both X710 are using firmware version 6.01, but we've been unable to replicate when using 6.01 (X710 A) and 5.05 (X710 B). While this seems very anecdotal, we've tried multiple systems with the X710 cards running 5.05 and multiple systems with the 6.01.  
  • We can work around the issue by forcing the advertised speed to only one option (10GBASE-SR)

Again when we connect a X710 running 5.05 to a X710 running 6.01 we are unable to replicate this problem.  When we connect a X710 running 6.01 to a X710 running 6.01 we see this problem approximately 5% of the time. We have tried different hardware sets with this. We have tried different SFPs. The behavior seems consistent, although surprising.

Would the firmware version have anything to do with this problem? It seems to be surprising the matching firmware would have a different/more negative performance than mismatched. But this is the only variable.

Is it recommended to upgrade the firmware on the X710 devices?  Regularly?

Understand that firmware changes are considered propriety, is there any knowledge if those updates would address this issue? 

System Details: All Linux based servers. All identical hardware sets.  Supermicro servers X10-XDRi-t motherboards. 
Some systems run an Intel X710 with firmware version 5.05
Some systems run an Intel X710 with firmware version 6.01
All systems are using the Linux i40e driver version 2.9.21
All X710 are using Intel E10GSFPSRG1P5 SFPs.  

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Echo-Bravo,

Greetings for the day!

This is the second follow-up regarding the reported issue. We're eager to ensure a swift resolution and would appreciate any updates or additional information you can provide.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Echo-Bravo,

Greetings for the day!

This is the third follow-up regarding the reported issue. We're committed to ensuring a swift resolution and would greatly appreciate any updates or additional information you can provide.

If we don't hear back from you soon, we'll assume the issue has been resolved and will proceed to close the case

Best regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Echo-Bravo
Beginner

I've attached a PDF with some version and debug output

Version Data Provided:

• The modinfo contains the driver version information
  • Ethtool -i containing driver version information.

Debug Information:

• Ethtool commands for the interface.  As noted you see the speed duplex change from 10000Mb/s & Full to Unknown! & Unknown! (255)
  • Additionally, I've provided the NetworkManager debug information of the interface going up and down.  

0 Kudos