Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

X710-BM2 NVM Update Help

ChristopherK
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to update the NVM Firmware on the Intel Network cards that are built into a bunch of SuperMicro blades my company has deployed.  These computers are supposed to have dual Intel X710-BM2 NICs onboard.  When I try to run the "nvmupdatew64e.exe" provided  in the package found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24769/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-700-Series I get the error message show in the screenshot below.  Can someone please help point me at what I need to do to resolve this issue?  We are running this from a fairly updated version of Windows 10 64 bit.

ChristopherK_0-1602539230245.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello ChristopherK,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

You mentioned that network cards are on-board. Please be advised that it is not advisable to update a 3rd party card using Intel's software and vice versa. This information is mentioned on this link, kindly open the link below and read "very Important Note":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030492/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

In this case, it is best to contact SuperMicro to check the exact feature and also for the latest update software. They are the best team who can support you with this issue.

Thank you and stay safe.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
ChristopherK
Beginner

Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me.  We will reach out to the OEM and see if they are able to help.  I just thought that since they say this is an Intel X710 NIC and that is what Windows reports that it was your design just layed into their motherboard PCB.  I have found when working with Supermicro the best bet to get the latest support and drivers for things they buy is to go direct to the manufacturer of that component rather than trying to deal with them.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChristopherK,

Let me explain why. 3rd party manufacturer buy Intel chip from us and embed it on their board. They can alter the features of the chip depending on the features of the board. That's why they should provide a driver for it too because the are the one who validates the compatible OS for the board. As for the NVM firmware update, 3rd party manufacturer will have different ways to access the chip to update it. That's why we only recommend Intel's update file on on Intel retail network cards only.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChristopherK,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you already tried contacting the manufacturer of the board for further support.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChristopherK,

I am just sending another follow up to check if you already tried to contact the manufacturer of the board. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos