Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

X710-DA4 linux driver i40e aborts with 'bar size 0x0 too small'

TimGruene
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I equipped an ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE mainboard with the X710-DA4 converged network adapter (quad-port). The OS is Debian Stable. The driver i40e complains

i40e: Intel(R) 40-10 Gigabit Ethernet Connection Network Driver - version 2.19.3

i40e 0000:61:00.0: Cannot map registers, bar size 0x0 too small, aborting

for each of the four ports, and the card is not visible to the system (nor the nvmupdate64e, nor ethtool, etc.). lspci does report the card.

Before Debian was installed, Windows worked fine with the card, the LED would flash, etc.

I have no idea where to start to get the card to work, and I would appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes,

Tim Gruene

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to ask first for a picture of the markings both front and back of your network adapter to validate if you are using a retail or OEM adapter. 

Can we also request for you to provide us your SSU log so we can also have a look on your system.

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

*Linux

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log

You can attach the log file on the thread.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TimGruene
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

thanks a lot for looking into this. Attached are pictures of the sticker labels - I hope this is what you need, as I had them at hand.

I also attach hodgkin.txt as the result of the system scan with ssu.  I am concerned this might be related to the motherboard, rather than the card itself? I look forward to your response.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
TimGruene
Beginner

Hi everyone, Zigfreid in particular -

the problem is semi-solved. The ASUS motherboard has 8 PCI slots (0-7). I tried three of them. Two slots, 5 and 7, produce the the problem, memory cannot be assigned by the kernel. With slot 6, the card is working just fine. I would have preferred more space to the next card, but at least everything is working.

Just in case anyone has a quick-shot answer: would this be a malfunctioning of the ASUS board, a feature (e.g. with a wrong setting in the UEFI BIOS), or something else?

Thanks for your efforts!

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

Thank you very much for advising us, we will need to further check on your concern before we can provide any recommendations, please provide us some time to check. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

We would like to ask some further questions to better understand the situation at hand before we provide our recommendations. Since you have mentioned that slot 6 is working properly and on slot 5 and 7 produce the problem "memory cannot be assigned by the kernel", can you advise us the following; 

1. On which slot did you encounter the error below? Would it be on the same slot (5 & 7)?

i40e: Intel(R) 40-10 Gigabit Ethernet Connection Network Driver - version 2.19.3

i40e 0000:61:00.0: Cannot map registers, bar size 0x0 too small, aborting

2. Where did you exactly see this error "memory cannot be assigned by the kernel"? Can you provide us more details on how you are getting this error.  

3. Have you tried installing the ethernet adapter on slot's 0-4? Did they generate the same error?

4. Have you also tried using other network adapters on the affected slot? Did you encountered any errors or all worked properly?

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TimGruene
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

ad 1: The error message "i40e 0000:61:00.0: Cannot map registers, bar size 0x0 too small, aborting" shows when the card is inserted in both slots 5 and 7. It does not show when the card is inserted in slots 4 or 6. I did not test slots 0-3. Those are covered by an NVIDIA graphics card, which I am reluctant to remove.

ad 2: The expression 'memory cannot be assigned by the kernel' is my mistake of wording. I always referred to the error message "i40e 0000:61:00.0: Cannot map registers, bar size 0x0 too small, aborting"

ad 3: I did not try slots 0-3, see answer 'ad 1'.

ad 4: I did try another PCI card in the slots (a HighPoint SSD controller). That card works without issues. Right now, a Intel dual-port "82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection" card is inserted, which does work.

right now, the X710-DA4 converged network adapter (quad-port) is inserted in a different computer. The i40e driver does recognise the card, and the interfaces enp16s0f[0-3] are configured with IP-addresses 192.168.3.1[0-3] respectively. One slot is connected to above mentioned "82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection", which are configured with IP-addresses 192.168.3.1 and 192.168.3.2, but I cannot ping between the two computers. Since the dual-network card has been used before, I suspect still an issue with the X710-DA4 and/or the i40e driver.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TimGruene
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

I am going to reply in a couple of days. I am travelling, and the tests you suggest will be quite time consuming, since the boot process is lengthy for this machine.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

Thank you for advising us, we shall await for your update instead. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

We'd like to check if you are already done with your test's and we would like to follow up with the requested information that we are asking before. Please do advise us if you still need more additional time or if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

We'd like to check if you are already done with your test's and we would like to follow up with the requested information that we are asking before. Please do advise us if you still need more additional time or if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

Thank you very much for answering our questions. We will have this further checked, please provide us some time. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TimGruene
Beginner

Dear Zigfreid,

I am curious about the information you drew from the serial number, and what other ways of insight you might have. Monday, 18th July would be suitable for me.

Best,

Tim Gruene

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

Firstly we do thank you for the troubleshooting that you have done. We are still checking on this issue however please do take note that Debian OS is not validated on X710-DA4 so we cannot guarantee that we may able to resolve your issue.

Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/ethernet-products.html

Regarding on the markings (If that's what you meant by the serial no.) we just needed to validate if you are using an Intel retail adapter or an OEM however upon checking on the markings of your NIC we found out that you are using an Intel retail card. 

Please provide us more time to have this further check. Since you have provided a date which is on Monday, 18th July we will provide an update on the said date and if we are able to provide an answer already before that, we will notify you instead immediately. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

As per advised by our engineers, this appears to be a motherboard issue because it does work on Windows and slot no# 6. Possibly Linux drivers for the motherboard or this is limitations of the HW PCIe bus so it generates an error. 

We do apologize unfortunately we are unable to provide any further recommendations on our end since the issue seems to be coming from the board that you are using. Please check with your mother board manufacturer so they can provide possible BIOS configurations or test BIOS that may resolve the issue.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TimGruene
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

I would like to know how I can test the functionality of the card without a second network card. In the current PC, the i40e driver reports the card, and lists its properties (see dmesg.txt). I connected one port of the X710-DA4 with another one of the same card, but 'ip a' still reports all four network devices to be DOWN. This makes me wonder whether this is really a motherboard issue, since this is now in a different ASUS board (PRIME X399-A), in a slot which I used before.

I can build a custom kernel from the vanilla sources, if Intel would provide a config file.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

Thank you for providing us an update. We will have this check to see what recommendations we can further advise, please provide us some time. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello TimGruene,

We do apologize for the delay in providing you our recommendations since we needed to have this coordinated with our engineers. 

According to our engineers, its possible that this is an Operating System issue. When the card is initialized it requests memory allocation for the PCIe bus Base Address Registers (BAR). The dmesg shows that it is unable to allocate and the I350 requests much less space than the X710.

The cause may be the way the Debian OS is handling the mother board resources and unfortunately, Debian is not validated for X710.

We would recommend to try using with a supported Linux OS such as Ubuntu or Red Hat. You can also refer to our support article for the "Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters" on the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/ethernet-products.html

Please also check with the mother board manufacturer (Asus) to see if Debian is indeed a supported OS for their mother board.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise us if we can close the thread. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TimGruene
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

let's close this thread.  I will check with a live image of one of the supported distros, in case this changes anything. Thanks for looking into this.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos