Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

X710 MAC Filtering

AMull4
Beginner

Hi,

I have a system with an Intel X710 (supermicro onboard card).

There is a somewhat unusual configuration on this system, but this does work everywhere else I've seen (including other intel cards on other systems):

I have an interface, with two vlans, eg:

eth0.10

eth0.11

If I configure eth0.10 with a specific mac address, it appears that something happens in the driver/hardware level that prevents the network card from receiving (tcpdump does not see them) packets with that source mac address, even when they are coming in vlan11

Running the latest driver (not the OS-included one): 1.6.42

OS is Ubuntu Linux, 14.04.5 with 4.4 kernel

Any idea how to disable this behavior?

Thanks,

-Adam

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the post. Can you provide more information such as your vlan configuration?

Have you also check with Supermicro* as well?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AMull4
Beginner

Hi wb,

I have replicated this with a configuration as simple as:

ethX.10: native mac

ethX.11: "fake" mac

where the switch is sending 802.1q-tagged frames to ethX.10 which have a source mac address of the fake mac on ethX.11

I haven't spoken to supermicro, the forums here seem to have some smart intel presence on it so I started here. If going to SM directly to start is better, let me know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adam,

If you disable eth0.11 vlan or vise versa, will you be able to receive the packets?

Can you share the ethtool -i log?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AMull4
Beginner

Hi Wb,

ifconfig eth0.11 down (with the spoofed mac), does change the situation a bit, the network card will start seeing *untagged* frames with that source mac, but not tagged frames with that source mac anymore.

I reverted the since then back to the stock 4.4 driver, but I was running 1.6.42 (latest from the site) earlier.

# ethtool -i eth2

driver: i40e

version: 1.4.25-k

firmware-version: 5.04 0x800026a4 1.1313.0

bus-info: 0000:03:00.0

supports-statistics: yes

supports-test: yes

supports-eeprom-access: yes

supports-register-dump: yes

supports-priv-flags: yes

Thanks,

-Adam

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing the information. Let me double check.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AMull4
Beginner

Thanks wb,

If you'd like, I could even setup a demo environment on my side and reproduce the issue for you.

-Adam

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adam,

We'd like to clarify some information regarding your setup.

1. When you mentioned "tried ifconfig eth0.11 down (with the spoofed mac), does change the situation a bit, the network card will start seeing *untagged* frames with that source mac, but not tagged frames with that source mac anymore", does that mean eth0.10 is the vlan seeing the untagged frames?

2. Please share the method used to set/change the vlan MACs?

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
AMull4
Beginner

Hi Vince,

1) I would generally run tcpdump on the physical interface, so eth0 itself would see all untagged frames, nothing tagged would come through.

2) regular ip link set dev X address DE:AD:BE:EF...

-Adam

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Adam for providing the response, we also like to verify when eth0.11 is not seeing the packets, is eth0.10 still working fine?

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
AMull4
Beginner

Hi Vince,

No packets, with any tags (11/10/anything) are received by the network card once in this state. The only packets seen by the network card are ones that are untagged.

-Adam

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Adam, I'm currently checking this internally and will update the thread as soon as possible.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adam, in your initial post, you've mentioned

There is a somewhat unusual configuration on this system, but this does work everywhere else I've seen (including other intel cards on other systems)

Please share the other Intel cards that works with similar configuration. You may also check with SuperMicro support and Ubuntu forum for assistance.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
AMull4
Beginner

Hi Vince,

I have a number of other servers running 82599ES that work fine in identical configurations.

Thanks,

-Adam

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adam,

Further checking, there might be some differences with the ixgbe (82599ES) driver and the i40e (X710) driver that would allow this. However since these are OEM systems, further customization might have been implemented.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks

wb

0 Kudos