Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

X710 NICs on Hyper-V 2016, can't set performance to Virtualization

ATove
Beginner

We have two Hyper-V 2016 servers in core mode, both have a pair of Intel X710 Adapters. Both have Hyper-V role enabled and the latest Intel firmware, drivers and Windows patches.

Using the PowerShell commands I see that the performance profile is "Standard server". Normally if Hyper-V is detected the performance profile is automatically set to 'Virtualization' by the driver however this is not the case here.

I have tried to set this using this PowerShell command:

Set-IntelNetAdapterSetting -Name *X710* -RegistryKeyword PerformanceProfile -RegistryValue 5

But an error is thrown:

Set-IntelNetAdapterSetting : The setting could not be modified because the specified value is invalid for this device or setting.

Any suggestions please?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.tovey,

Thank for posting in Wired Communities. Let me further check for you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.tovey,

Please try use below command, put the quotes in the command:

Set-IntelNetAdapterSetting -Name "X710" -RegistryKeyword "PerformanceProfile" -RegistryValue "5"

Please feel free to update me the result. Thank you.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
ATove
Beginner

The server BSOD after hitting enter and is now stuck in a failing boot loop.

0 Kudos
ATove
Beginner

In addition Get-IntelNetAdapter now causes further BSODs

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.tovey,

I am sorry to hear what happened. Let me double check for you.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.tovey,

Please share the serial number of the X710 NIC.This can be found at the white sticker on the physical NIC with 16 alphanumeric+ 6 alphanumeric+ 6-3 digits.

Can you try to plug the X710 NIC on another system to test? (In case you have a spare system) and please update me the result.

Thanks,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
ATove
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

The NIC is on board in a Dell FC640 blade. Dell support have drawn a blank so I came here for help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.tovey,

Thank you for the clarification and I am sorry to hear what happened. Since this is Dell* onboard NIC, the command Set-IntelNetAdapterSetting might not applicable for OEM NIC. Can you try check using the Microsoft* command "Set-NetAdapter" instead, you may refer to this website for reference

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/netadapter/set-netadapter?view=win10-ps (Please note this is third party website which Intel has no control over the content, posting here for your reference).

I would recommend you to contact Dell* to check with them the command that is suitable for the OEM onboard NIC, they might have a better idea what command should be applicable in case you can raise inquiry to them.

Hope the above information help.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.tovey,

Please feel free to update me if you have tried using the Microsoft command or contacted Dell* for further support? Do let me know if further assistance needed. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.tovey,

I sent PM to you. Please feel free to update me from there.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.Tovey.

Just to double check below information:

1) Are you trying to create virtual machines or team the X710 server adapters?

2) Did you try only the inbox driver or were you able to obtain driver and firmware from Dell*?

3) Please try using inbox driver to enable the HYperV again.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Austin.Tovey,

Please feel free to provide the information requested.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos