Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

X710 Recover Mode after FreeBSD Update

huehnerhose
Beginner

Hi,

I am running two identical machines with Intel X710 (plugged in cards, no other vendor) with 2 10Gb ports on FreeBSD. Everything worked smoothly while on FreeBSD 12.1. I had to update those machines to FreeBSD 12.2 and started with one machine. After booting 12.2 the connections didn't came up, dmesg is saying that card is in recovery mode. Consulting documentation led me to nvmupdate tool. 

./nvmupdate64e

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.35.42.7
Copyright (C) 2013 - 2020 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.
Inventory in progress. Please wait [|.........]

Num Description                          Ver.(hex)  DevId S:B    Status
=== ================================== ============ ===== ====== ==============
01) Intel(R) Ethernet Converged           n/a(n/a)   1572 00:129 RECOVERY not
    Network Adapter X710-2                                       available

Tool execution completed with the following status: An error occurred accessing the device.
Press any key to exit.

I tested the behaviour in the second machine (still on FreeBSD 12.1), it flawlessly updated the firmware from 6.01(6.01) to 8.32(8.20). 

I tried booting the old FreeBSD Kernel and got "AccessError", same AccessError on a live linux (Ubuntu 18.04 with i40e driver). I tried the ixl-updated as well on FreeBSD (12.2 and 12.1 kernel). 

Any suggestions what I can do to get the NIC up and running again?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi huehnerhose,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with your network adapter.

So, we would have a better understanding of your issue, please provide the following information:

1. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System#:~:text=Intel%20SSU%20for%20the%20Linux,and%20shared%20by%20the%20user. After running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply.

2. Kindly provide us the results of this command: ethtool -i ethx where ethx is the Ethernet port. Does it still detect the network card?

3. Aside from the things that you have mentioned that you have done, have tried any other troubleshooting?

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
huehnerhose
Beginner

Hi, 

thanks for the answer. 

Since I do not run Linux but FreeBSD SSU doesn't seem to support it. Further ethtool is not available on FreeBSD. 

I tried to run a couple of things in an live-linux-image. But was not able to get to much more information than in the appended screenshot. In linux the i40e module is loaded but no interface is available. 

Regarding further trouble shooting: I tried to reboot / power down the machine. But that's it. And I did not find any other information in the documentation. 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Huehnerhose,

Thank you for your response.

After analyzing the information that you have shared so far, we need to conduct a thorough investigation on the concern, and we need to get the markings of the network card.

If possible kindly provide us a picture of the stickers on the network card, you may refer to this page to have a sample picture of the sticker that we are after, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007060/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html.

We hope for your cooperation on this so we can proceed in assisting you.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
huehnerhose
Beginner

Hi,

since the servers are rented servers I do not have physical access to those machines. 

But I continued with trying things out. I am currently on FreeBSD 12.2 with a card with current Firmware 8.20 and the latest driver. Currently only finding one of the two ports of the card and still in recovery mode. 

Same card on different mainboard - everything works. 

Are there known issues with Supermicro H12SSW-NT boards or necessary bios options / tweaks that pay into recovery mode?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Huehnerhose,

Thank you for providing that information.

We will continue checking this, and the information provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this.

We will get back to you no later than three business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Huehnerhose,

Thank you for your patience in waiting for an update.

Due to the complexity of the issue, please allow us more time to check on your concern.

We will try to get back to you with an answer no later than 3 business days from now; although, we will reach out to you in case we need more information or if we already have developments regarding your concern.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
huehnerhose
Beginner

Thanks for you replies. 

I arranged with my datacenter to replace the cards with X520, which work flawless. 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Huehnerhose,

Thank you for your response, and patiently waiting for our update.

We are glad to know that the replacement card works flawlessly. Since you have already taken out the card, we would like to determine if it can be replaced for warranty. Kindly provide us a picture of the markings on the card.

You may refer to this page to locate the markings of the network card.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your response, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Huehnerhose, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved, and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel®, and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos