Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

X710-T2L - 2.5 / 5 Gbps modes not working in FreeBSD 11.3 / 12.1 with NVM firmwares 7.3 and newer

Abhi
New Contributor I
I have an odd issue on FreeBSD 11.3, where on any Intel NVM version greater than 7.2 (tried up to 8.0), the 2.5/5 Gbps modes do not work on my Intel X710-T2L adapter. Even if the modes are forced the adapter still defaults to either 1/10 Gbps link rates and if I set my switch ports to 2.5/5 Gbps no connection is there. I even compiled the latest Intel Ethernet 1.12.2 driver on FreeBSD 11.3 but the 2.5/5 Gbps modes still don't work with newer NVM versions.

On FreeBSD 12.1 the Intel X710-T2L isn't even detected unless I compile and upload the ixl driver (used 1.12.2). Oddly in FreeBSD 12.1 even with the default 7.2 firmware NBASE-T (2.5 and 5 Gbps modes) does not work, whereas it did in FreeBSD 11.3.

NBASE-T works fine with the same hardware in Windows 10 regardless of NVM version in use.

Any help would be appreciated in regards to this, thanks in advance!

Also before I'm asked for device info/images, that info is in the link below from another thread I started a few weeks ago:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-X710-T2L-One-port-shows-as-X710-T2L-and-the-other-is/m-p/638244#M15421
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

First of all, we apologize for the delay in our response.

By the way, before we proceed. Let me clarify if you are designing a system and trying to embed X710-T2L.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

Hello Michael, thanks for the reply. It seems this thread got marked as spam for some reason so I created the one below for the same issue:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-X710-T2L-2-5-5-Gbps-modes-not-functional-on-FreeBSD-11-3/m-p/1199617#M21027

I already have a system with the the Intel X710-T2L in use for many months, but this issue was a recent discovery.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Upon checking, that thread is still active and one of our representative is currently checking your inquiry.

I also informed them that you are making a follow up already. So please wait for our update on that case.

To avoid confusion since this is a duplicate of that thread, I will now close this thread and please continue

coordinating with us using the original thread. You may post a follow up on that thread too.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos