Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

X710 sfp+ compatible tranceivers

MartinA_H_Intel
Employee

Hi, are there any oem sfp+ tranceivers that are compatible with X710 adapters, or is it just Intel tranceivers that will work? Thx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Martinhain,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. X710 only used below the compatible SFP+ transceivers listed in the website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Please refer to the FAQ "What SFP+ and SPF modules are supported?"

Regards,

Sharon T

MartinA_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Sharon,

thanks for your answer. I have seen this link before but I still wonder if these are the only supported transceivers, sfp+ is not Intel proprietary, and if I check into https://lenovopress.com/tips1229-intel-x710-10gbe Intel X710 10 GbE Network Adapter Family Product Guide > Lenovo Press , you can see that in Table 2 there are other supported transceivers:

Supported transceivers and cables

The Intel X710 SFP+ adapters have empty SFP+ cages that support SFP+ SR or LR transceivers, and direct attached copper (DAC) cables.

The following table lists the supported SFP+ SR and LR transceivers.

Part numberFeature codeDescriptionOptical Transceivers - System x and ThinkSystem adapters49Y42160069Brocade 10Gb SFP+ SR Optical Transceiver46C34475053SFP+ SR Transceiver (10Gb)49Y42180064QLogic 10Gb SFP+ SR Optical Transceiver00FE331**B0RJLenovo 10GBASE-LR SFP+ Transceiver90Y9412**A1PMLenovo SFP+ LR Transceiver00FE333**A5DLLenovo 1000BASE-T SFP Transceiver (does not support 10/100 Mbps)Optical Transceivers - ThinkServer adapters only4XC0F28735Not applicableLenovo ThinkServer 10Gb Optical Module by Intel

** Only supported by adapters Intel X710-DA2 ML2 2x10GbE SFP+ Adapter (00JY940) and ThinkSystem X710-DA2 PCIe 10Gb 2-Port SFP+ Ethernet Adapter (7ZT7A00537)

The following table lists the supported fiber optic cable supported by SFP+ adapters.

============================================================================

the case above is just lenovo, but I assume that there are other OEMs that have their own transceivers, ie Cisco and others. Can you please help me confirm this?

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Martinhain,

Thank you for the additional information provided. The link you provided is from Lenovo and the network adapter listed are OEM network card for Lenovo system. For OEM network cards, the OEM vendor might have made customization on the NIC thus they can support other cable or transceiver they validated. Thus you can see on the Lenovo site they have their own part number and version for particular server. Thus, other OEM network card will have their own validated cable or transceiver.

For Intel retail version X710, we recommend to use the validated cable and transceiver

listed on our website (stated earlier) https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hope this clarified.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Martinhain,

Please feel free to update me if you still need further clarification.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
AChe0
Beginner

Hi,

I've got quite a similar question. I have Cisco SFP-10G-LRM trancievers, as far as I noticed they do not work with Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S network card, wich is shown as "X710" in Windows Device Manager. Are there any 10Gbase-LRM tranceivers for this card? Or should I ask Supermicro about it?

0 Kudos