Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

X722 card in windows 2019

ALern3
Beginner

Has anyone put an x722 NIC into any server running windows 2019 yet? I just tried and installed the latest drivers and there appear to be some strange issues going on. First, the Proset drivers do mention that the device manager option for configuration doesn't work and to use the "Adapter Configuration Utility", but that utility also says it doesn't support the cards either. The cards do connect and I can use them, but I noticed that get-netadapterhardwareinfo reported a 2.5GT/s link and then I went into device manager and saw in the details tab that the PCIe Link Generation 1 and the link width was also 1. I can go into the bios and see the PCIe bus link status and it shows a Gen3 link with a width of 8 was negotiated with the card.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello ALern3, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Please provide the markings from the adapter product label to confirm if this is an OEM or Intel retail version of the adapter. Please also confirm you are using 23.5.1, not 23.5: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28396/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-?product=95261 Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to see the drivers and configurations. 1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2- Open SSU.exe 3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". 4- When finished scanning, click "Next". 5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
ALern3
Beginner

Daniel, definitely using 23.5.1. I"m new to these forums, so I had already posted a support request (request # 04056214) . I've uploaded that ssu.exe log in that and can continue through there with the troubleshooting. for what its worth, I THINK my issues are more with the A.C.U. program and the driver display information in windows. Device manager states its running at a Gen1 link that is 1x wide, but I can keep a 10Gb link fully saturated using the MS NTttcp.exe program to test for a minute and I believe that is a solid indicator that the PCIe connection is not operating at gen1x1 speeds.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello ALern3, Thank you for the reply. Did the system previously have a different operating system that displayed the correct PCIe information? Is the Mellanox adapter onboard, or PCIe as well? Could you try re-inserting the X722-4, or try another G3 X8 PCIe slot? Please try to re-install PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility and launch it before rebooting. Check if the correct PCIe information is displayed. We have seen the error "adapter not detected" occur after a reboot. We are working on a fix for this. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ALern3
Beginner

There are two of these systems and they both have the same issue so I do not think its an insertion problem with the card. I'll try a different port on one of them but its a bit of a pain given the server configuration. The servers are new and I never installed another operating system in them prior to 2019. I uninstalled the network drivers and the base driver Microsoft provides and loads by default also shows the PCIe gen1 and width 1x as intel reports and opening the adapter configuration utility before rebooting still shows the card as "not supported".

I was pocking around the device manager on the system devices since I saw some loose documentation about this adapter using the C621 chipset. I did install v10.1.17861.8101 driver package for the chipset, but when I actually go to the device properties,the drivers do say they were provided by INTEL (in all caps) and digitally signed by the MS windows hardware comparability publisher, but the driver version says 10.1.9.2 and driver date of 7/18/1968 . This is for the Intel C620 Series chipset XXXXX drivers the Processor devices all show a driver version 10.1.8.5 with the same publication date in 1968.

My new vote is that this is an issue with the chipset driver package.

I was able to get a solid 10Gb continuous bandwidth between the two servers using just one port on the cards sustained for a minute using NTttcp.exe program that Microsoft has for testing bandwidth which makes me think that as least some of this is just a reporting issue.

0 Kudos
ALern3
Beginner

changed the slot on one machine and it did NOT change the speed/width reported in windows.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello ALern3, Thank you for the reply. You mentioned having a case open with our colleagues. It may be more simple to only have one case open, and keep from repeating troubleshooting. Please inform us if you would like to continue working with our colleagues. If you would like to continue support in the Intel Ethernet Communities please let us know. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
THigl
Beginner

@ALern3​ - Did you ever find a solution for this with Intel Support? We are still seeing all kinds of problems with X722 on Windows Server 2019.

0 Kudos
ALern3
Beginner

I went back and forth with them until they wore me out :-P I never "solved" the issue. The nic still reports as gen1x1, and I cannot use the Proset Adapter Configuration program as it says should be used, but I"m leaving more settings default and just burring my head in the sand to ignore the problem. The card appears stable and is definitely sending traffic faster than a gen1x1 link can possibly send, so the card appears to be at least performing as specified even if it doesn't report it correctly.

0 Kudos