Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

XL710-QDA2: TCP rx_crc_errors

AAlex20
Beginner

We already got working card with same chip (Selecom) and decided to purchase another one - but Intel branded XL710-QDA2.

After deploying and upgrading firmware and driver to the latests versions, we found that 40gbit/s link is up and icmp (pings) packets go perfectly, but there is no ability to set up any TCP connection.

Ethtool shows a lot of rx_crc_errors on this interface.

We've tested it with two brand new Intel cables and got the same result.

What can be reason of this?

i40e version 1.5.18

nvm version 5.0.4

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimenko,

Can you provide me the serial number of the network adapter and the marking on the box?

Serial number can be found on the white sticker barcode with 15 digits + 6 digits + 6-3 digits

What is the exact product code and MM# ?

What is also the exact Intel cable model used?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AAlex20
Beginner

3CFDFE9E5AC8

008 0516AD

J11363-001

XL710-QDA2

01/2016

3499 3889 1428

8313 8884 6950

Unfortunately we don't have a box of this card because it was the replacement of /thread/99976 B0 version. Seller provided new adapter in a box of the old one.

We can't provide cable model information at the moment (located in a remove DC). Is there any way to extract it remotely by the software? If not going to get it in few days.

0 Kudos
AAlex20
Beginner

We've got XLDACBL5 40G Qsfp+ cable. It was working perfectly with B0 before it was upgraded with latest firmware and replaced by seller.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimenko,

Thank you for the information. Let me further check on this issue.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AAlex20
Beginner

Hope it won't take much time, because we are at the end of warranty period at the moment.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimenko,

I will update you as soon as there is any finding. Are you referring to the network adapter warranty period? XL710-QDA2 covered a limited lifetime warranty.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimenko,

Can you help confirm below information for us to better investigate on this:

1) When you said unable to establish TCP connection, is it based from not able to do file transfer or intermittent web browsing?

2) Have you tried out 10Gbps connection to see if there is also the rx crc error?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AAlex20
Beginner

> 1) When you said unable to establish TCP connection, is it based from not able to do file transfer or intermittent web browsing?

Any tcp connection fails including wget, curl, telnet, ssh, tcp-dns etc.

> 2) Have you tried out 10Gbps connection to see if there is also the rx crc error?

We were interested in 40gb link, so we didn't. Need some time to take consultations and testing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimenko,

Thank you for the clarification.

For the TCP connection, were you able to connect to internet ?

And how many units of XL710 were affected with this issue?

What happens if connection is peer to peer or back to back?

Di you try using tool other than ethtool? What is the result?

rgds,

wb
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimenko,

Please feel free to provide answers to questions on my previous post for me to better assist on your inquiry.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AAlex20
Beginner

I've already provided 3 of 4 answers for your previous post and I don't understand why it was removed from public access.

Just got the replacement from the seller with exactly same problem. We have few days to test it again before it sent back.

Going to test back-to-back configuration tomorrow.

> For the TCP connection, were you able to connect to internet ?

No, as I've noticed above all TCP connections (wget, curl, telnet, ssh, tcp-dns etc.) fail.

The only packets we got successfully transmitted - were pings.

> And how many units of XL710 were affected with this issue?

We got 2 cards with the same family chip. One is Intel branded and the other - Silicom. After a lot of manipulations we've got both working on 40gb.

After firmware upgrade Intel one stopped - because it was B0 version. After replacement we weren't able make it working again.

So only one.

*** And one new replaced by the seller!

> What happens if connection is peer to peer or back to back?

We don't have ability to check it at the moment, because the second card we got is installed in production server.

We tried connecting the other router and port (worked with other and previous card) - with same result. So don't think there could be difference.

> Di you try using tool other than ethtool? What is the result?

What tool? Tried to do what?

To see errors? Without type clarification, it could be seen with ifconfig.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimento,

Thank you for the update. Please update us the back to back connection test.

Just want to clarify are you referring the Intel X710 NIC is not working after the firmware upgrade so you will be testing only the one with the Silicom?

As mentioned "We tried connecting the other router and port (worked with other and previous card) - with same result. So don't think there could be difference." Are you referring the Intel X 710 NIC connected to other router and port has the same issue of having rX_CRC error on the interface?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AlexanderKlimento,

Please feel free to update me.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos