Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4877 Discussions

XL710 QDA2 breakout cable optical > 50m

jpl69fr
Beginner

Hi

We are looking for a QSFP+ to SFP+ for a XL710-QDA2 Adapter with 4 fibers for at least 50 m.

We have tested this one:

Vendor name : DELL EMC
Vendor OUI : 00:17:6a
Vendor PN : 7TCDN
Vendor rev : A1
Vendor SN : PH0CF00B5
Date code : 201218

But it is not recognized as a Breakout Cable.

Any advice? Any possible configuration?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jpl69fr,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you please share the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jpl69fr
Beginner

Thanks so much for your answer.

This adapter has been installed on a system of our customer. This is the "DELL" version of XL710  : 540-BBRM.

We found know where is the problem :$

Software released under Intel Proprietary License.

NIC Seg:Bus Ven-Dev Mode Adapter Name
=== ======= ========= ======== =================================================
1) 000:059 8086-1583 N/A Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710

root@econet-ph-probup:/opt/expandium# ./qcu64e /NIC=1 /INFO
Intel(R) QSFP+ Configuration Utility

QCU version: v2.34.17.03
Copyright(C) 2014 - 2019 by Intel Corporation.
Software released under Intel Proprietary License.

QSFP+ Configuration modification is not supported by this adapter.

So we can't configure adapter in 4x10!

Don't understand what is this limitation?

We have XL710 in our lab and it works perfectly.

What do you advice?

Firmware information:

root@econet-ph-probup:/opt/expandium# sudo ethtool -i ens3f0
driver: i40e
version: 2.3.2-k
firmware-version: 8.15 0x800096c3 20.0.17
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:5e:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

Is there a limitation due to DELL version??

Thanks a lot for your support.

0 Kudos
jpl69fr
Beginner
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jpl69fr,

Thank you for the update and sharing the solution on this thread. 

The software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, your Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) which is Dell might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM adapter, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your manufacturer. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter.

You may refer to this link for list of System Manufacturers

https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Here is the link for Dell Support

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-my

Please be informed that we will now close this request. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have an amazing weekend ahead and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jpl69fr
Beginner

Hello and thank you very much for your message.

I completely understand this OEM mode of operation with regard to INTEL products adopted by DELL, HP, which are manufacturers with whom we work regularly.

The problem is very serious for us.The functionality of programming the link operation mode has simply disappeared from the DELL OEM version.
The qcue utility does not exist at DELL and the official INTEL OEM version does not work, which I find simply unacceptable!

In this case, I find it unacceptable that during a customization stage there is a loss of functionality.
We proposed to our customer the use of the INTEL XL710 card, precisely because of its unique ability to offer several operating modes, and in particular the 4x10G.

Since we work with several manufacturers, we do not have all the XL710 OEM versions of each. Therefore, we qualify original INTEL boards and we expect OEM suppliers to guarantee iso-functionality with respect to the original board.
If the XL710 card offered by DELL does not offer all the features of the INTEL card, it should not and cannot be called XL710, it is another card, and we do not want it.

We will ask DELL to provide us with real XL710 cards and not imitations with limited functionality, which they sell for much more than the original cards.
Unless you know of a procedure to make these cards, which I assume are made by INTEL and not DELL, into real XL710 cards.

Thank you for your attention.

0 Kudos