Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

XL710-QDA2 with Intel QSFP-40G-SR4 SFP

APras7
Beginner

Hi All,

We have "Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-QDA2".

1) Configured in 2x40 mode

2) The two ports on the board are connected back to back with below SFP:

MACROREER

40GBase-CU QSFP+ Cable 1m

We are able to observe that the link status on both ports is UP. And, we are able to run tests between the ports.

3) When we use the below Intel SFP's on both ports connected with MTP 24 fibre optical cable, the ports are not coming UP (Link status shows down)

E40GQSFPSR

QSFP-40G-SR4 16-26

Class 1 21CFR1040.10

LN# 50 6/2007

FTL410QE2C-IT

Please help us in understanding why the ports are not coming up with the above mentioned Intel SPF's (point 3).

Is the optical cable we are using compatible with the SPF's or need to use some other optical cable or SFP to bring the ports UP?

Should we configure the board in any specific mode ?

Looking ahead for your response

Thanks in advance

-- Anand Prasad

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi AnandPrasad,

Thank you for writing to Intel Customer Support. It is recommended to use validated SFP+ or fiber module for Intel XL 710-QDA2, please refer to page 6 of the product brief for the supported module:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-products/converged-network-adapters/ethernet-xl710-brief.html

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
APras7
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for quick response.

I referred to the link you have supplied and on page 6, QSFP+ details are provided as below:

We are using SR4 Optic E40GQSFPSR SFP module, is it correct? I mean with this SFP one should be able to bring the ports UP?

Also, the page mentions about Intel Ethernet QSFP+ Twinaxial calbles:

Should we use one of these cables only? Please mentioned which one we should use.

The one we are currently using is MTP 24 fiber optical cable, is it because of this we are facing link down issue?

Thank you,

-- Anand Prasad

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Anand Prasad,

Yes, you can use XLDACBL series cable directly depend on the distance of your connection here.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
APras7
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

Thank you.

We want to connect Port# 1 to Port2 back to back using optical cable. Is XLDACBL optical cable? If not, then please suggest us an optical

calbe to be used for back to back connection.

Thanks & Regards,

-- Anand Prasad

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Anand Prasad,

Thank you for the clarification. XLDACBL is not optical cable. Let me check and at the same time can you share what is the exact MTP 24 fiber cable ? I searched on the web and found below MTP 24 cable information

https://www.fibertronics-store.com/media/24%20Fiber%20MTP-MPO%20OM3.pdf https://www.fibertronics-store.com/media/24%20Fiber%20MTP-MPO%20OM3.pdf (note this is third party website for your reference, Intel is not endorsing this website and has no control over the content), is this the cable you used? With both end having one connector each? or if there are other variants?

If there is a picture you can share that would be great in case. Thanks.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
APras7
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

Yes, we are using the same MTP 24 optical cable that is mentioned in the link you have provided.

For this cable we have attached below mentioned Intel QSFP on both ends of the cable:

E40GQSFPSR

QSFP-40G-SR4 16-26

Class 1 21CFR1040.10

LN# 50 6/2007

FTL410QE2C-IT

But, with this, we are are not able to bring the ports [connected back-to-back ] to UP status.

Please let us know if this cable is compatible with "Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-QDA2" board along with the above mentioned Intel QSFP. If not compatible, then please let us know which optical cable should be used.

Regards,

Anand Prasad

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Anand_Prasad,

Thank you for the clarification. We are checking on this thus want to make sure this is the cable you refer to, I will update you once there is any information.

regards,

shaorn

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Anand_Prasad,

Further checking, you need to use the compatible and validated cable mentioned on our website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000006051.html

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Anand_Prasad,

Please do let me know if you need further clarification.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos