Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

XL710 - Traffic Steering. Can I please request clarification on hardware capability

Muthurajan_J_Intel

Hello,

Can I please ask clarifications on XL710 on VLAN steering. I have few questions regarding it on top of what was asked before. Really appreciate for your valuable input please

1. 7.4.8.4 "VEB/VEPA Switching Algorithm" states that filtering happens by MAC+VLAN. It is impossible to perform filtering by VLAN only, as I understand it is HW limitation.

XL710 has something called "7.4.8.2 S-comp Forwarding Algorithm" which looks like exactly what we want. It does forwarding of packets to specific VSI based on S-tag. S-tag is a part of "7.4.9.5.5.1 Add VSI (0x0210)" command. I guess we can configure several VSIs for expected S-tags. Can you help us understand how to use this algorithm please?

As I understood "port virtualizer" (7.4.2.4.3 "Cascaded VEB and port virtualizers") supposed to be configured to use this switching algorithm. In i40e driver (kernel or DPDK) I do not see anything related to configuration of "port virtualizers", except "i40e_aq_add_pvirt" function which is not used anywhere.

Is it possible to configure "port virtualizer" with existing latest i40e driver?

Another question is about "i40e_aq_set_vsi_uc_promisc_on_vlan" function in i40e driver (7.4.9.5.9.5 "Set VSI Promiscuous Modes"). It enables promiscuous mode for unicast packets with specific VLAN, so all packets with that VLAN will be replicated to configured VSI. In XL710 datasheet I`ve found that it works only in "Cloud VEB algorithm" (7.4.8.6). Can we somehow enable this algorithm with existing i40e drivers?

Thannk you so much

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi MJay,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. Let me further check on this.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mjay,

Please find information below:

1) With regards to the inquiry stated in 1.7.4.8.4 "VEB/VEPA Switching Algorithm" states that filtering happens by MAC+VLAN. It is impossible to perform filtering by VLAN only.

Yes this is not possible. XL710 has hardware limitation.

2) With regards on how to use the S-comp Forwarding Algorithm. You may refer to

section7.8.2.1 - ETS based scheduler configuration scheme, this section explains how to do this.

3) In relate to the inquiry about "port virtualizer" (7.4.2.4.3 "Cascaded VEB and port virtualizers").

It is not possible to do this with our generic i40e driver.

4) With regards to if can enable the algorithm with existing i40e driver which you mentioned the datasheet said that it works only in "Cloud VEB algorithm" (7.4.8.6).

It is not possible to do this with our generic i40e driver.

Hope the above information clarified.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mjay,

Please feel free to update me if further assistance needed.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
Muthurajan_J_Intel

Thank you so much Sharon for your thorough information.

Can I please request you the application notes or white papers that one can understand the architecture and high level design of XL710. Much appreciated.

Thank you

M Jay

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mjay,

You are welcome. Not sure if you have visited this link for technical library of X700 series

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/ethernet-controller-x710-xl710-family-documentation.html

Please check if the information therein are what you need. For further technical information, you may also try registering at Resource and Design Center which you can avail other information which are not publicly available.

https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/design/resource-design-center.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Mjay,

Please feel free to update me if you have access to Resource and Design center to obtain the information you need. Please feel free to update me if further assistance needed.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos