Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

XL710 VLAN tag stripping in a VF.

cphil4
Beginner

I have an XL710 VSI that is running in a VF. I have added a vlan filter for a tag of '2' to my vsi using the I40E_VIRTCHNL_OP_ADD_VLAN message. The vsi is the default one created by the PF driver when the VF is created. When an appropriately tagged frame is sent to the VF (eg a ping with vlan tag '2'), the receive descriptor shows the tag correctly in the L2TAG1 field and the L2TAG1P bit is set. I want the vlan tag to be stripped from the frame. However it is not. A dump of the vsi shows the port_vlan_flags field (which was created from the ADD_VSI command) to contain 0x3. This would seem to equate to byte 12, bits 0:4 of the VLAN handling section of ADD_VSI command (see 7.4.9.5.4.1 Table 7-80 of the Datasheet). 0x3 indicates

0:1 = 3 - allow all packets

3:4 = 0 - show VLAN, DEI and UP in descriptor

Is there something more I need to do to achieve stripping on the tag?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi clievp,

We need to check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi clivep,

Good day. Further checking ,how did you manage to know the VLAN is not stripped? When using TCP DUMP to say that the VLAN tag isn't stripped that

doesn't mean anything – tcpdump works at the upper network layer and retrieves VLAN information from meta data in the skb. So it will

display VLAN tag information.

Hope this clarifies.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cphil4
Beginner

On our application that implements the VF, I used gdb to halt the VF driver after it had retrieved a frame from the Rcv ring and I dumped the contents of the frame. The VLAN was in the dumped frame.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI Clivep,

Thank you for the info. What isthe application you used?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cphil4
Beginner

Not sure what you mean. The application running the VF is a proprietary app. I used "ping" to send the vlan-tagged frame.

0 Kudos
cphil4
Beginner

This issue appears to be pilot error. The card now seems to be handling VLANs correctly for our VF driver.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Clivep,

Thank you for the update and good to know that.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos