Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

XL710 nvm update fails with "Access Error"

DAnde8
Beginner

I've seen this posted on the forum a number of times, but there has been no posted solution. i have two know good 710 based network cards that have had their SPI flash chip replaced with a blank one. Now both cards are unable to be flashed with using the nvm utility. does anyone know the root cause of this? i am assuming since there is no firmware running from the SPI flash, that the nvm tool can not be used. does this mean that the SPI flash needs to be programmed manually?

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool

NVMUpdate version 1.30.22.3

Copyright (C) 2013 - 2017 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.

Inventory in progress. Please wait [+.........]

Num Description Ver. DevId S:B Status

=== ======================================== ===== ===== ====== ===============

01) Intel(R) Ethernet Controller XL710 154B 00:001 Access error

Generic ID

Tool execution completed with the following status: Device not found

Press any key to exit.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Daveanders,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Communities. We will further check on this.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

Agent under contract to Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Daveanders,

As stated in page 14 of our datasheet link at https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xl710-10-40-controller-datasheet.pdf, the device firmware is stored in the SPI flash. You will not be able to use the NVMupdate available in our download center if you replaced it with a new one. You need to program it first, page 183 onward provides details of the NVM (access, flash device requirements and others).

Can you share why you replace the existing SPI flash to a new one?

Please share the exact marking of the XL710 network adapter for us to identify if the NIC is OEM or retail version.You can provide either the following

1) Device and vendor ID. Since I do not know what operating system you used, you may refer to the link below on how to obtain the device and vendor ID.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

2) Or in case the NIC is not installed in any system yet and is readily available on hand. You may look for and provide the part number in the serial number which is located on the physical NIC. Here is the reference link

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005625/services.html

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Daveanders,

Please feel free to provide us the information for better investigation.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Daveanders,

Please feel free to provide us the information for better investigation.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
PHrom
Beginner

Hello I have similar problem. I haven't been replacing any flash chips, I just wanted to update firmware because we are experiencing a little performance drops. So I tried update to 6.80:

[root@localhost Linux_x64]# ./nvmupdate64e   ​   Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool   NVMUpdate version 1.32.20.30   Copyright (C) 2013 - 2018 Intel Corporation.   ​   ​   WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.   Inventory in progress. Please wait [*|........]   ​   ​   Num Description Ver.(hex) DevId S:B Status   === ================================== ============ ===== ====== ==============   01) Intel(R) Ethernet Converged 1572 00:004 Access error   Network Adapter X710   02) Intel(R) Ethernet Converged 1572 00:005 Access error   Network Adapter X710   ​   ​   Tool execution completed with the following status: An error occurred accessing the device.   Press any key to exit.

I haven't found any solution for this. Could you give me any advice?

Thank you,

Petr

0 Kudos
GuillaumeN
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same problem.

I'm an electronic engineer and I designed a board with the XL710.
Since I buy every component with my company, the SPI flash is blank at the board assembly step.

I'm not sure to understand if I have to programme it before assembly step or if I can do it after, and with which tool ?

So how should I manage to programme this blank SPI flash ?

Best regards.

Guillaume

0 Kudos