Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

XL710 repair

ke1evra
Novice

after a failed update there is the following:

Num Description Ver.(hex) DevId S:B Status
=== ================================= ============ ===== ====== 
01) Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-Q2 N/A(N/A) 1583 00:129 Access error

when trying to rollback:

# ./nvmupdate64e -r -m 6805CA323382 -l

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.38.3.3
Copyright(C) 2013 - 2022 Intel Corporation.

Warning: Cannot initialize port: [00:129:00:00] Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-Q2
Warning: Cannot initialize port: [00:129:00:01] Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-Q2
Warning: Device with MAC address 6805CA323382 not found.

and lspci says:

#lspci -s 81:00.0 -vv

Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: i40e

How to restore the firmware from backup files??? =(

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ke1evra
Novice

you are useless, so there are no more questions for you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ke1evra,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can we ask first for you to provide us a photo of the markings both front and back of your Network Adapter XL710-Q2 so that we can validate if this is an Intel retail card or a 3rd party OEM.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ke1evra
Novice

attached

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ke1evra,

Thank you very much for providing us the needed information. Please provide us some time to have this validated and provide you our recommendations. Would it be ok if we can ask between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ke1evra,

Hi as per checking on the markings of your NIC, unfortunately we are unable to determine the brand and this might be an OEM adapter. All of our Intel Ethernet adapters should have either Yottamark / BradyID sticker and we have also checked the part no. and it is not on our list of Intel retail cards.  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Since our NVM package is intended only intended to be used on Intel retail adapters, please contact your OEM vendor for an appropriate package or repair.  

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ke1evra
Novice

And how to find the vendor now if there are no signs on this NIC...
Well, if we assume that this is an Intel card. What would you recommend? How can I flash the rom directly without initialization?Because neither nvmupdate64 nor bootutil help because of "cannot initialize adapter" error.

It turns out that your utility can flash ANY card and kill it without first determining that the manufacturer is NOT Intel. and nothing can be done back, because "this is an OEM, please contact the manufacturer"

Why can't bootutil/nvmupdate64 flash raw data to chip from flb/bin backup? (without adapter initialization)

There is nothing to lose, the card is inoperative. Is there any way to upload the firmware to it?

P.S. You can send me a private message, I can give you remote access to my PC if you have a service utility that is not for public use. I will accept any options

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ke1evra,

We do apologize if we are unable to find the exact OEM manufacturer of you NIC. We have checked the markings on your NIC on our data base and we have determined that this is not an Intel retail card

Our NVM package is only intended to be used on Intel retail adapters and if you use that to a non Intel retail NIC it can potentially damage your card in which we don't want to happen. 

So the best recommendation that we can advise you is to contact your OEM vendor/ reseller so that they can advise you which OEM manufacturer it belongs to. Then you can contact the OEM manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter.  

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ke1evra,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ke1evra
Novice

you are useless, so there are no more questions for you

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ke1evra,

We do apologize if we are not able to help you with your current situation however we have reviewed your request and decided to grant you a replacement instead.

As a gesture of goodwill, we will replace your ethernet adapter. Please do provide us your shipping address so we can forward your request to our local team and proceed with the replacement process.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ke1evra
Novice

Thank you. Of course, I am sincerely glad for such a gesture, but it is unlikely that you will send a replacement to Russia :[

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ke1evra,

Intel complies with all applicable trade regulations and sanctions in the countries in which it operates. Based on Intel’s announcement to cease operations in Russia, I am unable to provide the support requested.

The Intel Download Center and Intel Download Support Assistant (IDSA) are available to meet driver update needs.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos