Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

XL710 stuck in 4x10G breakout mode

Heinrich
Beginner

Good day,

I have a Intel XL710 (rev 01) that is stuck in 4x10G breakout mode. Using the latest QCU tool I am not able to set the device back into 2x40G

I have tried NVM version 8.3 and 6.8.

./qcu64e /nic=1 /info
Intel(R) QSFP+ Configuration Utility

QCU version: v2.34.17.03
Copyright(C) 2014 - 2019 by Intel Corporation.
Software released under Intel Proprietary License.

Adapter supports QSFP+ Configuration modification.
Current Configuration: 4x10

Supported Configurations:
4x10
2x2x10A
2x2x10B

Any advice on how I can revert the breakout mode?

Kind regards,
Heinrich

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Heinrich,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, kindly confirm if you are designing a system or a board with embedded XL710.

Can you tell us on how would you implement this and how are you using the QCU tool?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Heinrich
Beginner
Hi Michael

No, this isn't a embedded design. This is happening on a 2x40GbE NIC. Previously the card was in 2x40 mode and I used the QCU tool to break out the ports into 4x10 but I am unable to revert them back to 2x40 again

Kind regards,
Heinrich
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Heinrich,

Thank you for the clarification. For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. What is your OS?
  2. Please provide the link of your latest driver.
  3. Are you using a PCIe XL710?
  4. What is the brand and model of your system
  5. Please help generate the SSU of your system. Kindly open the link below for the utility download.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=text#q=ssu&t=Downloads&layout=table

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Heinrich
Beginner

Hi Michael!

Please find attached the generated SSU. I will try to answer your questions in case the SSU does not contain everything needed:

1) Currently I am using CentOS 8.3.2011 with kernel 5.10.28
2) The XL170 NIC is bound to the in-tree i40e driver. (vermagic: 5.10.28 SMP mod_unload modversions)

3) Yes, this is a PCIe card
4) The card is installed in a SuperMicro server. (I see the SSU contains some more info on this)
5) SSU attached

Kind regards
Heinrich

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Heinrich,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Please give us 2 to 3o business days to check on these details that you provide.

We will send an update or if we need to gather details about the issue. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Heinrich,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update. Can you try the Ethernet Port Configuration Tool instead of using the QCU tool. If you encounters an issue, please provide us a screenshot for us to check.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28931/Ethernet-Port-Configuration-Tool-All-Supported-OSs-

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Heinrich,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you tried the Ethernet Port Configuration Tool instead of using the QCU tool. Please update us for us to further assist you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Heinrich,

I Hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos