Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

XL710 stuck in 4x10G breakout mode

jvallabh
Beginner

jvallabh_0-1636556365531.png

Hi, 

I have already referred what's on this thread:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/XL710-stuck-in-4x10G-breakout-mode/m-p/1281079

I have tried with both the qcu64e and the epct64e tool and both of them show only the three modes i.e.

4x10G

2x2x10A

2x2x10B

Please help

@Mike_Intel 

0 Kudos
28 Replies
jvallabh
Beginner

Adding additional information:

This is a 2x40G Intel NIC installed on a PCIe slot on a Dell r430 Server. 

Output of lcpci: 
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-Q2
04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 01)
04:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 01)
04:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 01)

The OS used is Ubuntu 18.04 Server

Latest driver installed from:
https://downloadmirror.intel.com/682037/700Series_NVMUpdatePackage_v8_50.zip

SSU for my system is attached here

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We will be needing to further check the recommendations that we can provide you for your case as well as to review all the information that you have provided us. 

Please provide us some time to have this check, would it be ok if we can ask you to provide us within 2-3 business days for this? Once we have all the information that we need we will notify you immediately. Thank you and have a good day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

Yes, that will work. We have 2 x Dell r430 setups with the XL710 NIC which are stuck in this configuration as of now. We'd really appreciate a fix for this. 

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

We would just like to confirm if you are also using a discreet Intel Ethernet Adapter? We do apologize for asking, since we are unable to determine since its not reflecting on the SSU logs that you have provided. 

If you are using a discreet adapter may we request for a photo of the markings for both the front and back of the adapter?

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

Hi @Zigfreid_Intel ,

Yes, we are using the Intel Ethernet adapter. For your reference, its the same one shown in the link below:
https://www.cdw.com/product/intel-ethernet-converged-network-adapter-xl710-qda2-network-adapter-pci/3509180

Its the same model that we are using in all of our Dell r430 servers. 

Thanks

Janaki Vallabha 

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

Thank you for advising us however we would still need an actual photo of your discreet Intel Ethernet Adapter reflecting with the markings both at the front and back of the card, to help us determine if this card is a third party or not. 

Kindly refer to this link as a reference so that it can help you determine the location of the markings of your network adapter. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/ethernet-products/500-series-network-adapters-up-to-10gbe.html

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

Hi @Zigfreid_Intel : 

Please find attached the pictures of the front and back of the card referenced in this thread. 

Thanks and Regards

Janaki Vallabha

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

Thank you very much for providing us the photos of your network card that we have asked. Please provide us some time to have this check, would it be ok if we can ask you to provide us within 2-3 business days for this? Once we have all the information that we need we will notify you immediately. Thank you and have a good day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

Yes, I will wait for your findings and steps.

Thanks and Regards

Janaki Vallabha 

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

Firstly, we do apologize for the slight delay on providing you our recommended actions for your concern as we were further checking to provide you an accurate recommendation. 

We would like you to check the "Intel® QSFP+ Configuration Utility Quick Usage Guide" and see page 5 to check if this would work on the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/network/adapter/qsfp-configuration-utility-quick-usage-guide.pdf

If you will still encounter an error, please provide us a screenshot of the error and also the brand and model of the breakout cable that you are using.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

How are you?

We are just following up on your inquiry for this thread. Was our recommendation able to help you with your concern?

Let us know if you need some clarifications. We will make sure to create a follow-up after 3 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

@Zigfreid_Intel :

I don't see any error message. Its just that the 2x40G mode is not showing in the QSFP+ configuration utility tool.

jvallabh_0-1638034775989.png

I have referred the document and followed the steps. I am using an Amphenol 40G - 40G QSFP Cable. 

jvallabh_1-1638034998820.png

We use the same make and model of cable on another Dell server with the XL710 (used in 2x40G mode - stock factory settings)

The XL710 referred to in this thread was in 2x40G when purchased. We needed to use it in 4x10G breakout, mode was changed using the same tool about 2 years ago. 

We needed the NIC to be switched back to 2x40G now, but are unable to change the mode. 

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

Thank you for your update in this matter. We are sorry to hear that our suggestion did not work for you. Please allow us to further check into this. We will provide you with an update no later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

This is an unusual one as it was previously working on 2x40G. With this, we may need additional information from you so we can further check this.

1. Based on SSU, you are using the latest NVM version 8.5. Do you still remember the previous NVM when it was in 2x40G?
  2. Have you tried to change the QSFP cable when you reconfigured it to 4x10G?
  3. What was the previous driver version when it was configured on 2x40G?

Let us know if you need clarifications. If we do not hear from you, we will make sure to make a follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

Hi @Achilles_Intel :

Unfortunately, No. I don't recall the NVM version or Driver version that was used when the card was in 2x40G mode. 

Regarding the cables, I have tried with different cables (DAC as well as optics) which we usually use with a Dell Z9100 Switch. I have tried Dell, Intel, FS and Avago branded Transcievers and Amphenol, FS DAC cables too. 

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

Thank you for your giving us these answers. We understand if you do not remember the driver and NVM versions anymore. Please allow us to investigate this issue further. We will provide you with an update no later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

We just want to confirm as well, have you tried to change the configuration of the adapter already? You can try using the procedure from the user guide (page 6) on this link below just to check if the configuration will push through. If you encountered any errors, please send us a screenshot of the error.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/network/adapter/qsfp-configuration-utility-quick-usage-guide.pdf

Let us know if you need clarifications. If we do not receive an update from you, we will make sure to follow-up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

Hi @Achilles_Intel :

As shown earlier - I don't see an error. Its just that the configuration that I intend to switch the NIC to (i.e. 2x40G) is not shown in the options as part of the supported configurations. I see only 4x10, 2x2x10A and 2x2x10B. 

There is no troubleshooting that can be done here AFAIK. Would it help to have a call over Zoom where your engineers could take a look at this setup?

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jvallabh,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We do apologize if our further recommendation was still not able to help you solve your concern. Also we do apologize as well as we don't have any option for you to speak directly to our engineers via zoom however we will be re-escalating this to our engineers instead so we can further investigate and provide you further recommendations.

Please provide us some time, would it be ok if we you can provide us another 2-3 business days for this? Thank you for understanding and have a good day!  

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jvallabh
Beginner

Yes, Sure. I'll look out for an update. 

Thanks

0 Kudos