Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

XXV710 Dual Port 25GB card and Cisco AOC Cables

NJone8
Beginner

​ Hi

Do Cisco AOC cables (i.e. SFP-25G-AOC4M) work in the XXV710 25GB Dual port network cards.

I need to connect to a Cisco nexus 93180YC-EX switch. The Cisco spec states these ports are FC-FEC compliant only, not RS-FEC). That rules out any Cisco DAC cable over 3m. The Cisco AOC cables are FC-FEC compliant, so I would like to use these.

However I can’t be certain that the XXV710 cards support these cables? Can anyone confirm.

Page 12 of the matrix in the attached link, states ‘SFP28 25Gbe AOC, FEC support is either No FEC, or RS-FEC.   Is it correct that the Cisco AOC cables using FC-FEC will not work? Has anyone used them to connect to the XXV710?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/xl710-ethernet-controller-feature-matrix.pdf

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Njone8, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Please provide the markings from the product label, so we can confirm if this is an Intel Retail version of the adapter. If you have not yet purchased the adapter let us know if you intend to purchase the XXV710-DA2 or a different variation. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NJone8
Beginner

​Hi.  We purchase the Intel XXV710 cards from Dell.  The Dell part no was 540-BCDG. Thanks

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello Njone8, I am just making a follow up on the information that we requested. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello Njone8, Thank you for the clarification. Since it is verified that the card is from Dell, please try to contact them regarding cable and switch compatibility. Dell may have altered or modified some specifications of the card. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello Njone8, I just want to check if you tried contacting Dell regarding this issue. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NJone8
Beginner

​Hi.  The response from Dell is that they haven't tested Cisco AOC cables.  Therefore I cannot be certain if the Cisco AOC cables I mentioned are actually compatible with the XXV710 card.  Dell could only confirm they tested the passive twinax DAC cables.    Based on the lack of any confirmation I can only assume the AOC are not compatible with the network card.  The only info I can rely on is in the Intel compatibility document I reference above, which states AOC cables work with no FEC and RS-FEC.  There is no mention the AOC cables work with FC-FEC, and Cisco AOC Cables require FC-FEC support at the lengths over 3m.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello Njone8, If there is no specific compatibility test, we can only say that it may or it may not work. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Njone8, Please let us know if you need other assistance regarding this matter. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NJone8
Beginner

​Hi. No more assistance required thanks. 

0 Kudos