Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

XXV710-V2 NIC doesn't support "ethtool -m". Is this a bug or by design or have I done something wrong?

CPrei1
Beginner

Questions:

1. Is anyone else able to successfully read an SFP module's EEPROM info through an XXV710 NIC using "ethtool -m"? (I'd like to know either way, if you got it to work or not, and if you got it to work, I'd like to know how to duplicate your environment)
  2. What is the latest NVM version for the XXV710? (maybe 5.81(5.51) is the latest for this NIC, even though the package is labeled 7.1?)

Background info:

I am using Ubuntu 18.04, with kernel version 5.4.0 and ethtool version 5.3, and the driver is i40e version 2.8.20-k.

With 25Gb XXV710 NICs from FS, I can get link and error free, wire-speed data transfer, but if I try and read a transceiver’s DMI with the following command, I get the following bad result:

tech1@E11:~$ sudo ethtool -m enp4s0f0   Cannot get module EEPROM information: Invalid argument

Checking for clues with dmesg leads me to believe that the NIC’s NVM firmware must be updated to a newer version that supports reading transceiver EEPROM data because the following message occurrs in dmesg every time I used ethtool -m to read the transceiver’s EEPROM data: 

[ 107.563673] i40e 0000:04:00.0 enp4s0f0: Module EEPROM memory read not supported. Please update the NVM image.    

So I downloaded the latest NVM and update utility from Intel, and tried to update my XXV710’s firmware. Intel’s update utility detects both my Intel X710 (enp2s0f0) and my FS XXV710 (enp4s0f0). The Intel X710 firmware got updated successfully, but the FS XXV710 just says “Update not available” and it does not update. 

tech1@E11:~/Desktop/700Series/Linux_x64$ sudo ./nvmupdate64e     Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool   NVMUpdate version 1.34.17.7   Copyright (C) 2013 - 2019 Intel Corporation.       WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.   Inventory in progress. Please wait [.........-]       Num Description Ver.(hex) DevId S:B Status   === ================================== ============ ===== ====== ==============   01) Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) n/a(n/a) 15BC 00:000 Not supported   I219-V   02) Intel(R) Ethernet Converged 7.16(7.10) 1572 00:002 Up to date   Network Adapter X710-2   03) Intel(R) Ethernet Network Adapter 5.81(5.51) 158B 00:004 Update not   XXV710-2 available       Tool execution completed with the following status: All operations completed successfully.   Press any key to exit.   tech1@E11:~/Desktop/700Series/Linux_x64$      

Ethtool's -m option works as expected in my X710, but not in the XXV710, and they're both using the same i40e driver. 

I'd like to know whether "ethtool -m" functionality something that isn't supposed to work on the XXV710 yet, or if I should be able to get this working.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi CPrei1,

Thank you for posting on our Intel® Ethernet Communities page.

Please provide the markings found in the 4-in-1 label of your XXV710-DA2. You can use this link, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007060/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html, as a reference on how the sticker looks like.

Kindly provide the “Ethtool –i” output for the loaded driver version.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
CPrei1
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for your reply. This is not an Intel branded NIC. This is an FS.com branded NIC that uses an Intel XXV710 chipset. FS part number XXV710AM2-F2

https://www.fs.com/products/75603.html

I have been in contact with FS, and after a week of communications, they let me know that the XXV710 NICs they sell at NVM version 5.81(5.51) cannot be updated to newer firmware versions. Last week they agreed to make an RMA to exchange my NICs for ones that they sell at NVM version 6.01, which should support updating to the latest NVM version 7.1 and reading transceiver EEPROM info, but they still have yet to provide me with that RMA... I’m frustrated because when purchasing these NICs from FS, they gave no indication that there are different hardware versions of this model, with different DMI read and NVM upgrade capabilities/limitations, and they’ve been dragging their feet through the whole process.

My need to get this working is urgent, so I'm exploring other options that could get me up and running faster than waiting on FS's pokey RMA process. I know that Intel branded NICs commonly block 3rd party transceivers from working in them. The reason I bought FS brand is because they used the Intel chipset, while claiming to support 3rd party MSA compatible transceivers. 

I urgently need a working solution. Can you suggest any NIC brands/models that use the Intel XXV710 chipset, and also support 3rd party transceivers, and also correctly report transceiver EEPROM details? I would be glad to go Intel as long as it's a model that allows use of any 3rd party MSA compatible transceivers.

Thank you and best regards.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi CPrei1,

You are most welcome.

Thank you for sharing more information regarding your concern. It is unfortunate to learn about your experiences with the RMA of your card. Based on what you shared, we think that you already know that our NVM upgrade options only work with non-OEM and Intel® retail Ethernet cards.

Regarding your request for us to suggest any NIC brand or model that uses the Intel XXV710 chipset, please allow us 2 to 3 business days to check on this. We will update you as soon as we have an update since we understand the urgency of the matter.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
CPrei1
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

Youwrote:

"we think that you already know that our NVM upgrade options only work with non-OEM and Intel® retail Ethernet cards."

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "non-OEM"?

I was under the assumption that Intel's NVM update utility and firmware should be able to work with any NIC that is based on an applicable Intel chipset, no matter who the manufacturer is, so long as that NIC manufacturer has implemented a design that allows NVM updating.

Are you saying that Intel has designed the NVM updates so that they are limited to work only on NIC brands that include Intel and other select companies who have been approved by Intel?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi CPrei1,

To answer your latest question, The NVM upgrade file posted in our download center is only for the Retail version of the adapter. If your card is an OEM part, you need to contact you OEM manufacturer for the newer NVM, which you mentioned that you have already done and that is the correct thing to do.

Regarding your other concern about a third party card that we can suggest, we can only suggest our retail products since we cannot guarantee the quality of other cards. Our retail cards for the retail XXV-710 cards are open optic, you should be able to use a good quality module that shows support for the XXV. We don't have a list of 3rd party optics that are supported, since we also cannot guarantee the quality. For reference you can access this page, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023708/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi CPrei1,

We would like to ask if you have any further inquiries on your concern.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi CPrei1,

I am just sending another follow up if you still have questions or clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I will close this inquiry now. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Alfred S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos