Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Xl710 reports 1000 and 10000baseKR/Full but cannot set to 1000

PaulBarrette
Beginner

Hi,

I would like to change the XL710 eth driver to run at 1000baseKR/Full.  However, when running ethtool, its says the action is not supported (running linux CentOS/RHEL 7.8).  Is there another way to set the speed?

ethtool -s enp7s0f0 speed 1000 duplex half autoneg off
[ 1786.008805] i40e 0000:07:00.0 enp7s0f0: Changing settings is not supported on backplane.
Cannot set new settings: Operation not supported
not setting speed
not setting duplex
not setting autoneg

Here is the configuration:

[root@localhost ~]# ethtool enp7s0f0
Settings for enp7s0f0:
Supported ports: [ Backplane ]
Supported link modes: 1000baseKX/Full
10000baseKR/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 1000baseKX/Full
10000baseKR/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 10000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: None
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes

Thanks

Pb

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello PaulBarrette,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you try the steps on this link and check if you can change the speed. It is for a different network card, but kindly check if the steps will work.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056441/network-and-i-o.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
PaulBarrette
Beginner

Hi thanks for the response.  The link you pointed to explains the same command that I ran as shown in the logs above.  I am not sure why the the error is "not supported".  All the documentation says use ethtool to set the speed.

[root@localhost ~]#  ethtool -s enp7s0f1 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off
[ 518.304777] i40e 0000:07:00.1 enp7s0f1: Changing settings is not supported on backplane.
Cannot set new settings: Operation not supported

thanks

Pb

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PaulBarrette,

Before we further proceed, let me just ask. Are you using a PCIe XL710 card or onboard? If you are using a PCIe card, please send a photo of the card on both sides focusing on the markings. If you network card is onboard, what is the model of your board or system?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
PaulBarrette
Beginner

Hi Michael,

this is a Curtiss-Wright VPX3-1260 board.  The XL710-BM2 Ethernet controller is designed in, LOM  not adapter.

Thanks

Pb

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PaulBarrette,

Thank you for the clarification. At this point, it is also best to contact the manufacturer of the board for further support is the network card is embedded. They may have altered the features of the network card causing you to have difficulty in changing the speed.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PaulBarrette,

I just want to check if you already tried to contact the manufacturer of the board for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
PaulBarrette
Beginner

Hi, Looking at the driver code, I can see that this device id is explicitly blocked from setting the speed with ethtool:

i40e_ethtool.c:1386ff:

if (hw->device_id == I40E_DEV_ID_KX_B ||
hw->device_id == I40E_DEV_ID_KX_C ||  << this is my device id
hw->device_id == I40E_DEV_ID_20G_KR2 ||
hw->device_id == I40E_DEV_ID_20G_KR2_A) {
netdev_info(netdev, "Changing settings is not supported on backplane.\n");
return -EOPNOTSUPP;
}

thanks

Pb

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PaulBarrette,

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the board? Since its is embedded on the board, they may have changed some features including the speed of the network card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PaulBarrette,

I just want to check if you tried to contact the manufacturer of the board regarding the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PaulBarrette,

I am just sending another follow up hoping that you are already talking to the manufacturer of the board for further support. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos