cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

a problem with 82599 using SR-IOV in linux

Hi,

Now I am doing test about sr-iov. I can setup vfs using 82576 and pass it to VMs with xen 3.2 and kernel 18 in CENTOS 5.4. However, when I change it to 82599, no VF appears any more. If I use "dmesg" to see what happens, it displays "not enough MMIO resource for SR-IOV" . First ,we think that it may be caused by the OS, but we have tried several OS including Centos 5.4(i386 and X64),5.6, REDHAT 5.5,5.6 and the problem remains.Now we really don't know what's the problem.Thanks very much!

If anyone happen to know what to do with it, I hope you can give me a hand.

0 Kudos
44 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Patrick,

thank you for your answer.

I was using that guide (your link). It may be helpful to others noting that the max_vfs parameter should be specified for each port, therefore it needs to multiple numbers in applications that expect to create VFs on more than one port.

Thank you for your help.

idata
Community Manager

Hello,I'm sorry to ask about the Failture of "no enough MMIO resource",we confirm that we enable the BIOS's and kernel's SR-IOV capability,but still show the same message,and when we check the /proc/iomem we find no resource were allocated for SR-IOV as well as we show the resource in /sys/bus/pci/device directory,we think maybe this is a bugger in our motherboard

Our BIOS information is as follow:

BIOS Information

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 2.0a

Release Date: 09/29/2010

followed is information about motherboard:

System Information

Manufacturer: Supermicro

Product Name: X8DTH-i/6/iF/6F

Version: 1234567890

Serial Number: 1234567890

UUID: 02050D04-0904-0205-0000-000000000000

Wake-up Type: Power Switch

SKU Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Family: Server

Recently,we find a new motherboard is Supermicro X8DTU-6TF+,can you help us to confirm whether this motherboard supported with 82599 SR-IOV?Looking forward to seeing your response.

Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Sorry that you continue to experience problems.

Unfortunately we do not validate all of the various combinations of servers and BIOS available.

We ensure that our devices and drivers conform the the SR-IOV spec, with compliance tools and do of course some testing on a subset of available servers.

I do know from personal experience that Supermicro systems support SR-IOV, however the last time I ordered one from them, I had to specifically request a special BIOS that had SR-IOV support. This was 3 years ago, I would assume, however cannot confirm, that SR-IOV support is now standard.

At this time, I have nothing additional that can help you. If I hear anything about this specific system, I will pass it along. Hopefully another reader of this forum may have some insight to your issue that appears to be beyond the scope of the actual Intel device.

idata
Community Manager

Patric;

I have solved the problem now by updating the BIOS again with the latest version. Here I get another quesion, can 82599 or 82576 provide bandwidth guarantee?

Thank you for your help!

Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Great! I figured it was the BIOS.

Not sure what you mean by bandwidth guarantee. Both of those devices support rate limiting, where you can specify the maximum bandwidth available to a VF. This is described in detail in my latest paper:

/community/wired/blog/2012/06/25/latest-flexible-port-partitioning-paper-is-now-available-learn-about-qos-and-sr-iov http://communities.intel.com/community/wired/blog/2012/06/25/latest-flexible-port-partitioning-paper...