Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

bring up method of I350-AM2 ?

HJung8
Novice

Hello!

We are using I350-AM2 with Freescale i.MX6Q, and i have some questions.

1. Can i use I350-AM2 without EEPROM?

2. If i cannot use I350-AM2 without EEPROM, how can i write EEPROM after booting completed?

3. Is there any reference EEPROM data? Or can i dump EEPROM from NIC that used I350, then mod this dumped data, then apply to our board?

Thanks!

1 Solution
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Heeseob Jung

Referring to Section 3.3.1.4 Software Accesses:

"The I350 provides two different methods for software access to the EEPROM. It can either use the builtin controller to read the EEPROM or access the EEPROM directly using the EEPROM's 4-wire interface…

Software can also directly access the EEPROM's 4-wire interface through the EEPROM/Flash Control

(EEC) register. It can use this for reads, writes, or other EEPROM operations."

To directly access the EEPROM, software should follow these steps:

1. Take ownership of the EEPROM Semaphore bit as described in Section 4.7.1.

2. Write a 1b to the EEPROM Request bit (EEC.EE_REQ).

3. Poll the EEPROM Grant bit (EEC.EE_GNT) until it becomes 1b. It remains 0b as long as the

hardware is accessing the EEPROM.

4. Write or read the EEPROM using the direct access to the 4-wire interface as defined in the EEPROM/

Flash Control and Data (EEC) register. The exact protocol used depends on the EEPROM placed on

the board and can be found in the appropriate datasheet.

5. Write a 0b to the EEPROM Request bit (EEC.EE_REQ) to enable EEPROM access by other drivers.

We are going to upload the document # 474233 Intel® Ethernet Controller I350 [Powerville] – EEPROM Images – Rev. 1.63, and we will let you know as soon as the document is available.

Best Regards.

Josue.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
MBerg36
Beginner

Hi Gabriel,

Any chance a arm64 / aarch64 version of that tool exists ?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @MBerg36​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please let us know the part number of the Intel device associated to your request?

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
MBerg36
Beginner
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @MBerg36​:

Thanks for your update.

Could you please let us know if your request is associated to a technical problem? In case that your answer is affirmative, could you please give all the details of the issue?

By the way, could you please clarify if the devices associated to your thread have been designed by you or it are third-party units? Could you please let us know the name of the manufacturer, model, other important information of they are third-party devices?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
MBerg36
Beginner

We have put the I350 on a custom design.

Our main processor is an 64 bit ARMv8

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @MBerg36​:

Thanks for your update.

We suggest you use the EEPROM Unlock utility, which removes the write protection on the I350 EEPROM. It can be found at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23609/EEPROM-Unlock-utility

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
MBerg36
Beginner

As there is no EFI I am not sure how I would use this utility

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @MBerg36​:

Thanks for your update.

The EEUpdate EEPROM Update Utility document # 607981 and Intel Ethernet Controller I350 [Powerville] EEPROM Images document # 474233 may help you to solve your problem. These documents can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account at the following websites:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/607981.htm 

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/474233.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or any inconvenience related to the provided websites. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos