Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

cannot disable 64-bit BAR on Intel X710 adapter

EZheg
Beginner

Hi,

I want (actually, I need) to disable 64-bit BAR on a two-port 10-Gbit Intel X710 adapter (because I'm booting the server via iSCSI, and it's unable to boot because while autoconfiguring the IBA receives 64-bit addresses, and this it's unable to live with it). When I use BootUtil (last version available, 1.6.36.0, launched from FreeDOS since Linux version requires some modules I'm unable to get) for it it says:

[...]

WARNING: BootUtil detected an older

version of the device (location 129:0.0) NVM image that expected.

Please update the NVM image.

WARNING: BootUtil detected an older

version of the device (location 129:0.0) NVM image that expected.

Please update the NVM image.

Disabling 64-bit BAR support on port 3...

Error: Unsupported feature.

What am I doing wrong ? I have 4 ports listed by BootUtil, two are from on-board adapter, and two are from discrete XL710 network card, and ports 3 and 4 (device IDs 129:00.0 and 129::0.1) are exactly those. What is even most funny, when I ussue 'BootUtil.exe -ALL -64d', it's capable to disable 64-bit BARs on the on-board ports. In the same time the "Intel Boot Agent Application Notes for BIOS Engineers" clearly states:

c. Configure the Ethernet controller to only request 32-bit memory BAR addresses. All Intel PCIe Ethernet controllers have EEPROM settings that limit the device to advertising only 32-bit memory BAR support.

About the adapter: Linux reports it as (lspci -m)

81:00.0 "Ethernet Controller" "Intel Corporation" "Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+" -r01 "Intel Corporation" "Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-2"

81:00.1 "Ethernet Controller" "Intel Corporation" "Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+" -r01 "Intel Corporation" "Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710"

and this means that it's Intel manufactured one, because the onboard ones say "Super Micro Computer Inc".

Now about this NVM message. I downloaded the latest NVM image and utility, version 5.05, and updated my adapters (the nvmupdate64e utility said there's no updates for the onboard ones, but updated the discrete ones), but the BootUtil still says that it doesn't like the version.

So I will really appreciate if someone will shed some light on this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi drookie,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Community.

While I'm still checking your query, please share the PXE image "version" loaded and "flash firmware" details of your X710, These information can be found in the right side of the NIC entry after entering "booutil" command under FreeDOS.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi drookie,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Community.

While I'm still checking your query, please share the PXE image "version" loaded and "flash firmware" details of your X710, These information can be found in the right side of the NIC entry after entering "bootutil" command under FreeDOS.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
EZheg
Beginner

Hello,

"Firmware" column shows "Not Present" for both ports of the discrete card, thus "version" column is blank. I've already tried to update the flash on this adapter using BootUtil and the supplied bootimage.flb file from the BootUtil tarball, but the BootUtil said after I issued the bootutil.exe -nic=3 -up=iscsi -file=..\bootimage.flb:

Option ROM area in the flash is not supported for this device on port 3.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi drookie,

I've confirmed that disabling 64-bit BAR on Intel X710 is not supported. possible workaround is to create a UEFI version of the iSCSI OPROM that will work in the 64-bit range.

For procedure and support, kindly check out the TianoCore open source UEFI community.

http://www.tianocore.org/contrib/getting-started.html

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos