Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

descriptors for Ethernet Media Access Controller Initialization

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I am working on a Cyclone V SoC system. It is the Cyclone V SoC Development Kit.  

I wish to initialize the ethernet MAC. I am using ARM DS-5.  

i wish to write a simple application through which i may transmit and receive data through the ethernet port connected to the hps.i was looking for some guidance/hints as to how to go about doing this.  

Please do correct me, if you feel that anything I post here is incorrect.  

I have read through the cyclone V documentation and from what I understand, I am to initialize the DMA, Ethernet MAC (EMAC) and MAC, before beginning the transmit/receive operations.  

For this I need to create a list of transmit and receive descriptors.  

I am unaware of how to go about doing this. 

Would anyone happen to know where I can get some sample code for a similar application, or even suggest appropriate C syntax/code to initialize a descriptor chain.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

I would like to mention that I am not intending on using any OS support. This is to be a bare metal application. I am trying to build up upon the GSRD system, that is provided by the supplier.
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm facing the same issue, did you solve the problem? I'm also trying to use Ethernet through bare metal application on SOC dev.board. 

Please help. 

Thanks, 

Pierre-Jean
0 Kudos
Ranjithkumar828

Hello, 

I am also looking for a solution to the same problem. Any reference or example code for ethernet and USB in bare metal. 

Please help us. 

0 Kudos