Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

firmware update on 82599ES/X520-2 NIC

ravik
Beginner

Hello,

We have following Intel NIC and driver version and would like to update NIC to latest firmware.

(1) I couldn't get driver/firmware compatibility matrix.

(2) Steps to update 82599 NIC firmware and firmware file location

NIC details:

========

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet OCP Server Adapter X520-2

sudo ethtool -i enp4s0f0

driver: ixgbe

version: 5.8.1

firmware-version: 0x800007b8, 1.1018.0

expansion-rom-version: 

bus-info: 0000:04:00.0

supports-statistics: yes

supports-test: yes

supports-eeprom-access: yes

supports-register-dump: yes

supports-priv-flags: yes

Using Ubuntu 16.04 and 4.19.120 kernel.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ravik
Beginner

Hello Intel team, Kindly let me know if/how to upgrade firmware on this NIC. Cannot find relevant information.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravik,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities and we sincerely apologize for the delay on our response.

Please share the PBA and serial number of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ravik
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

NIC and server on which it is installed is in our data center so I cannot get the information you requested. Any tools (ethtool, lshw, ..) provide the requested information?

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravik,

Thank you for the reply.

We understand that you cannot get the requested information since its in data center. Can you try to extract System Support Utility (SSU) logs so we can check if the PBA will be captured? This will allow us to identify if you are using a Retail or Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) version on Intel Ethernet adapter. Please refer to this link for 'Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility'

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

Please also share why do you need to update the NIC to its latest firmware.

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ravik1
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Attached SSU utility output.

I have tested with 2 servers and 3 driver versions (5.3.3, 5.5.5 and 5.8.1) and 2 kernel versions (4.9 and 4.19), common is NIC firmware version firmware-version: 0x800007b8, 1.1018.0

Reason for firmware update is on interface flap NIC 'Tx Unit Hang' message is seen, NIC is non-operational and recovery is reboot the server.

Attached SSU output and NIC messages logs.

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos
ravik1
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Kindly let me know how to fix 'Tx Unit hang' issue? Will NIC firmware upgrade solve it?

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravi,

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, the PBA number is not captured on the SSU logs provided. Since providing the PBA number is not possible as of this moment, we will still try to further check your query. 

Can you share where the drivers were downloaded from? 

Just to clarify, when you mentioned 'Tx Unit Hang' message is seen, NIC is non-operational and the only way to recover is to reboot the server? Is that correct? 

Awaiting to hear from you. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ravik1
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Source code is downloaded from

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/ixgbe%20stable/

When 'Tx Unit Hang' message is seen on the NIC, only way to recover NIC is, to reboot the server.

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravi,

Appreciate your swift response.

Before we further check your concern with our higher levels, can you share if there's a specific application running when the message appears? How often does this issue occur based on your observation? 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ravik1
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Regular traffic (in my testing it is ping traffic) on NIC, flap the interface (ip link set dev <dev-name> down, ip link set dev <dev-name> up) and the issue is seen every time.

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravi,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Please allow us to continue on investigating your concern. We will get back to you as soon as there is any findings but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravi,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

We understand that that the NIC is installed on a server that's in a data center. But if you have the opportunity to share the PBA or some photos of the adapter, we would highly appreciate it as this would indeed help us in identifying if you are using a Retail or an OEM version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

We also do have an additional questions and we hope you don't mind providing it.

1.) For how long has this issue been happening? Is it just recently? 

2.) Can you share information for the history of this problem?

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravi,

How are you today?

Please provide the additional information we requested for us to further check your request. Let us know if you have questions and clarifications.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ravi,

Good day!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos