Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4872 Discussions

how to sync GNSS to PHC in E810XXVDA4TGG1 and how to get GNSS TOD?

Dflyway
Beginner

hi all,

As you know, E810XXVDA4TGG1 is Quad Port with GNSS mezzanine. From e810 datasheet,   The 1588 timers in the E810 and the PHYs operate on the same clock of 812.5 MHz . so how sync GNSS to PHC like clock reference or 1PPS from GNSS to PHC? btw, there are several related questions below:

(1)can we use command like below to sync between GNSS and PHC? assume that ptp device  is /dev/ptp0

ts2phc -c /dev/ptp0 -s nmea -m -l7

(2)Is there 1PPS from GNSS mezzanine  to PHC?  there are two SMA connectors which can be configured as a 1PPS input or ouptut, so whether one SMA connector can be configured 1PPS input from GNSS mezzanine? if so, how to do it?

(3)Is there a way to read TOD from GNSS mezzanine? there is tty device driver in ice_gnss.c , but there is only open/close and dummy write interface, seems that there is no read interface.

Your comments will be very appreciated!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can we ask for you first to provide us first a picture of the markings both front and back of your E810 network adapter so we can validate if you are using a retail or an OEM adapter.

Also can we know the reason why you are needing to know how to sync GNSS to PHC and how to get GNSS TOD? Can you advise us your main purpose or main goal so that we can also provide our recommendations?

Are you also having any connection issues? Please do advise us. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dflyway
Beginner

hi Zigfreid,

Firstly thanks for your  comments.  The E810XXVDA4TGG1 unit is on the way during shipment and that will be got in the end of this Month and so far no picture for you.

Our purpose to use E810XXVDA4TGG1  is to achieve accurate timing from 1588 NIC and make server with that adapter to be  master role with GNSS reference in 5G RAN system.   Even though  E810XXVDA4TGG1 has provided high precision timing from NIC PHC,   the PHC timing from NIC is not syncing from GNSS and keeping on its internal clock source.  so we want NIC PHC to sync from GNSS like clock reference from GNSS or 1pps sync from GNSS.  btw,  As GNSS server,  we need get TOD timing from GNSS.  so this is reason for our request.  We are not sure whether if NIC PHC is not syncing from GNSS and we can calculate GPS time stamp from PTP timing stamp on NIC PHC?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

Thank you for responding and for advising us. We will have to further check on this before we can provide you our recommendations. Please allow us some time to have this check, would it be okay if we can ask between 2-3 business days to provide you an update? If you have a preferred date instead please advise us. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

We are still further checking on your concern however, we would like to ask on when will you be able to get your adapter so we can check the markings? Since its important for us to know as well if you are using a retail adapter or an OEM so we can provide an appropriate support, please advise us.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dflyway
Beginner

Zigfreid,

This adapter will be got in the end of this month and could you give some comments for questions in email loop firstly ?  Before the adapter is ready,  the pre-condition working like timing sync evaluation,  GNSS support  etc related to above are planned to be finished.

Thanks for your understanding!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated and its currently being further investigated. We have no guarantees as of the moment if we can provide a recommendation since we are not able to validate your adapter. However, rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

We do apologize for the delay in providing you our recommendations as we needed to have this further checked. Please refer to the document that we have attached as this can provide you the information that you are looking for.

However if you have further inquires or needed further support please register to our Intel Premier Support (IPS) instead. Please refer to the link below for reference. 

How to Register and have Access to Intel® Premier Support

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057045/ethernet-products.html

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dflyway
Beginner

Zigfreid,

Thanks for your info and we will check detail in your attached document and then see more support if possible. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

If you have further inquires regarding on "how to sync GNSS to PHC in E810XXVDA4TGG1" please register to our Intel Premier Support (IPS) for further assistance instead.

However if you have other concerns please advise us and if none, please advise if we can already close the thread.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dflyway
Beginner

hi Zigfreid,

Thanks! you can close it and we are evaluating detail  and  if need more support later, maybe new request could be submitted. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Dflyway,

Thank you very much for advising us, we will now proceed in closing the case. For future concerns just feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos