Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

i210 bridging interface problem

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am developer on Linux system. I have develop network tunnel with bridging interface. I found problem in throughput performance. It looks like serial packet. From bandwidth monitoring, i can see packet flow from eth0 to eth1 as serialize not pararell. It need traffic from eth0 down to lowest then eth1 raise the traffic forward.

How can i fix this problem? I have been looking in Interrupt Throttle Rate (ITR) from your guide in "Tuning Throughput Performance for Intel® Ethernet Adapters". But it does not any effect.

Thank you,

suchot

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Thank you for the post. What is the network adapter you used here?

Just to double check if you are referring to the information on this website about the tuning

https://wiki.chipp.ch/twiki/pub/CmsTier3/NodeTypeFileServerHPDL380G7/ols2009-pages-169-1842.pdf

Thanks,

wb
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi wb,

I have been testing with APU2b4 (http://pcengines.ch/apu2b4.htm PC Engines apu2b4 product file ). It use i210AT. From orignal debian wheezy (7.5) use kernel 3.2.0 with intel driver 5.0.5-k (igb). I found problem in LSO packet. Then, i have been use your driver 5.3.5.3 with CFLAGS_EXTRA="-DNO_PTP_SUPPORT -DIGB_NO_LRO -DIGB_PROCFS -DDISABLE_PACKET_SPLIT". After this compiled, my traffic is look work except throughput.

Thanks,

suchot

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi suchot,

Thank you for the reply, I will try check on this.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Just to double check so the problem now is the packet will flow from eth0 to eth1 as serialize but not pararell (which you want to achieve). Please elaborate more the problem. thanks.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Wb,

That right, it flow as serialize. As i use "bwm-ng" to monitoring every interface. It shown that the traffic flow from eth0 will be increase, then it decrease when eth1 is increasing.

Regards,

suchot

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Thank you for the information.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Wb,

picture below is bandwidth monitoring. At first picture, it shows the traffic put into Eth1 interface. Last picture, it show the traffic pass through Eth0 interface.

Hope this will help you to understand the problem.

Thanks,

Suchot

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Thank you for the additional information.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Good day. Further checking, this appear to be not our NIC problem but more on your application.This is a problem with the bridge/tunnel configuration, not the NIC. You may check with your application. Hope this clarified.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Wb,

This is not clarified for me. We have been test our system with APU1 (realtek NIC). it works perfectly. We just change from APU1 to APU2. The different is your NIC driver. Hope you understand the problem.

Regards,

suchot

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Thank you for the clarification. Let me further check.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Further checking you will need to to edit the driver for your specific needs. You

If you are using our Linux driver, then you can refer to the documentation

Refer to sourceforge documentation if you are using the driver from sourceforge.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Suchot,

Just checking if further assistance needed.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos