Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

i210 with an external flash

IKroy
Novice

Hi,

I am trying to activate the Ethernet Controller (WGI210IT) with an external flash (MX25L1633EM2I). Currently the both controller's (internal flash) iNVM and the external flash are blank. Thus the controller is identified on a Linux ARM machine via PCIe as 1531 device ID. I got the 572162-eepromaccesstool-0-7-5.zip and run the EepromAccess Tool and tried to dump the iNVM to file but the application got stuch because it was waiting for the GetFlswFlashOperationDone to complete but it didn't as the read PCIe register returned 0xFFFF_FFFF. Moreover, I saw that the memory mapped is disables:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 1531 (rev 03)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0000

Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- SERR-

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 388

Region 0: Memory at 50800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=8M]

Region 2: I/O ports at 1000 [disabled] [size=32]

Region 3: Memory at 50400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=16K]

Capabilities:

I guess this is why the register returns NA values. Moreover the igb driver does not support 1531 Device ID and thus it is not attached to the device. I read the forums and I understand that the external flash supposed to be programmed to enable the regions mapping to make the igb driver to be utilized with the i210 (which shall be identified with a different device ID).

I have the following questions:

1) I should I program the external flash?

2) Is there away to program the flash via the ARM processor?

Regards,

Igal.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello IgalKroy,

Thank you for posting in Intel Wired Ethernet Communities. This question may be best answered in https://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en Intel Embedded Communities. Have you tried asking in Embedded Communities? Intel https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html Resource and Design Center may also be able to help you with this issue. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello IgalKroy,

Were you able to find assistance from the Embedded Community or Resource and Design Center? Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
IKroy
Novice

Hi,

I have removed an external Flash device from "The Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1" we've purchased and connected the component to our board. The i210 was identified and the Ethernet communication of our custom board worked as expected (we were able to browse the internet) - So I guess that my custom HW is OK.

As I have an ARM CPU I've utilized the 572162-eepromaccesstool-0-7-5 tool and dumped the 10kB file I210NIC1.otp (eepromaccesstool -nic=1 -demp).

I guess this file is from the iNVM and not from the external NVM file. If this is correct, when the iNVM was programmed?

I'd like to program all my production Flash memory components with the same binary as the Flash memory (that was taken from the adapter) how do I do it, while modifying the MAC address and resigning the file?

Though I'd like to eliminate the re-soldering the component.

Igal

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello IgalKroy,

Thank you for your reply. This question would still be best asked in https://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en/ Intel Embedded Communities. Please try to ask in the Embedded Community, as they specialize in programming embedded components.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos