Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

i218-LM code 10 after restart without cable

DHeal3
Beginner

I have a system using an Intel i218-LM ethernet controller:

• Fully patched (as of 16th Feb 2015) Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • Intel driver PROWinx64.exe, Version:19.5, Date:28th Oct 2014. Appears in Windows as driver v12.12.80.19 dated 29th Sept 2014.

Under normal operation the LAN works correctly. I can disconnect and re-connect the LAN cable, and each time the LAN connection is re-established.

If I perform a system restart with the LAN cable connected, the LAN is established correctly once Windows boots.

However, if I perform a system restart without a LAN cable connected then I get a Code-10 error in Windows under Device-Manager for the i218-LM controller. When I re-connect the LAN cable obviously the connection isn't re-established due to the Code-10 error. If within Device-Manager I disable and then re-enable the i218-LM, the Code-10 error goes away, and the connection is correctly established.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi dh29,

Please try try enabling Wait for Link in case you have not tried that.

Check also the adapter advance features should be disabled when the cable is disconnected.

You may also check with Microsoft about the code 10 error, which they might be of help to explain the cause.

Hope these helps.

rgds

wb

0 Kudos
DHeal3
Beginner

Hi wb_Intel,

As 'vince_Intel' suggested back in February, I have already tried setting the 'Wait for Link' to OFF. This made no difference to the problem.

I can confirm that when the cable is disconnected the advanced features in Device-Manager are disabled.

I'm pretty sure I won't get any help from Microsoft regarding the code 10 error, as I only get the error when I have an Intel driver.

What I really want somebody to explain is what the 'flow of data' should be when waking the i218-LM from its ULP state during a RESTART?

I can see from the reference schematic that the LANWAKE_N (i218-LM pin 2)and LAN_DISABLE_N (i218-LM pin 3) should be routed to the PCH's GPIO27 & GPIO12 respectively. As the i218-LM is not waking correctly from its ULP state after a RESTART, then what part of the system is responsible for the waking? Is it the BIOS involved (i.e. ACPI functionality)? So who and when controls the PCH GPIO27 & 12 signals?

Regards,

dh29

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi dh29,

Thank you for the clarification. Let me check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI dh29,

Good day. You can try disable the ULP feature to fix this. can you provide private message me your email so that I can send you the tool to disable the ULP.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I may have a similar problem with the i218-V network adapter on my Asrock Extreme6 motherboard.

After a restart the adapter will not work (Error Code 10), and the fault persists across several power cycles and even between different operating systems (Windows 10 and macOS 10.11). Clearing the motherboard CMOS doesn't help.

Disabling and re-enabling the Intel NIC in the BIOS is the only reliable way to clear the fault.

I have also noticed that occasionally the network adapter doesn't work for several seconds when the system wakes from S3 sleep, so maybe ULP could be causing these issues.

0 Kudos